No simCard

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gooberton, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Gooberton macrumors 65816

I got att cellular iPad and it didn’t come with a sim
    Card, isn’t it supposed to? Can I use an old SIM card? What do I need to do,?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2018 ---
    Anyone?

2. baypharm macrumors 68000

baypharm

Walk into an AT&T store and tell them you want a sim card for your ipad. In my experience they will hand one over for free. If you already have one just install it.

3. Rob198612 macrumors 6502a

Rob198612

4. bmat, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

bmat macrumors 6502

I just tried inserting the sim from my old iPad and no luck. Anyone else have luck doing that?

5. Gooberton thread starter macrumors 65816

Did you try to activate without one? What happened

6. Allport1954 macrumors member

I also ordered from AT&T (12.9 256 space grey) and received a device w/o a SIM card. Chatted with a rep, he told me he’d ship out a SIM, just received a email that a SIM for an iPad mini (??) is on its way. Will probably stop by AT&T tomorrow after work.

7. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

Yep. I pulled the SIM out of my 10.5 and LTE fired right up on my 11”.

8. bmat macrumors 6502

Weird. Didn’t work for me with my ATT one. My sim from my 12.9 and ATT mobile share didn’t show any LTE bars when put in. Anyone else have the issue?

9. Gooberton thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow. Pretty big error

10. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

What’s the error? With the eSim/Apple SIM, you don’t need a physical card to set up a new LTE account, or add it your existing AT&T/Sprint/VZW/T-Mo plan.

You can also transfer service from an existing iPad plan. These are all options given under the Settings->Cellular Data menu.

11. Gooberton thread starter macrumors 65816

Mine just shows errors when I try

12. Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

Yesterday I set up a 12.9” Pro on Verizon at the Apple store. Verizon requires a nano SIM. The iPP does not come with one in the box, but it’s free if you ask - but you need to know to ask. Other carriers appear to support eSIM in the IPP, but I did not try that.

The IPP recognized that the unregistered SIM was there. Once the SIM is installed, you need to call/contact Verizon and give them the nano SIM serial and the device IMEI - you can probably do this from your online account but since I was in the store, I didn’t try to use my online account. Et voilà, in just a few seconds it works fine. Until you ’register’ a new SIM/device with an account, they of course don’t know who to charge and won’t let the device on the network.

Hope this helps a little

13. itcrashed macrumors regular

itcrashed

Same issue here. I guess the SIM I had in my IPP Gen1 isn't compatible. I just activated using the built in eSIM instead. It's always a pain in the ass to have to deal with AT&T to deactivate the old SIM, but I didn't have a choice atm.

Oh and my new IPP did NOT have a sim in the tray when I bought it.

14. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Mine also didn't work transferring the old sim, I had to call At&t to get it setup.

15. Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

Side note, I was also told that there are two nano SIMs, v1 and v2. No one knew what the differences are

16. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

Pulled the SIM from my Gen 2 and popped it into the Gen 3. Had data within 30 secs.

17. bmat macrumors 6502

Ah. My old one was a gen 1 12.9 so I guess that may be the difference.

18. Treebark macrumors 6502

Treebark

Not quite true. Both because I know I didn't have the option with Verizon and because Apple lists eSim support coming later this year (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209096) what you say isn't quite true as of today.

Also from Macrumors post a week or two ago:

19. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

That is talking about eSim on the iPhone, eSim on the iPad has worked since at least last year, but you are correct that Verizon doesn't support it yet.

20. Treebark macrumors 6502

Treebark

Good to know. Hopefully Verison will get on board eventually. I suppose I already have the cardboard sim they gave me today, but it would be good to have eSim working for the future whenever I switch iPads again.

21. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

True as applicable to Apple SIM. Indeed eSIM is not quite ready.

22. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

I just used the nano sim from my iPad 10.5 that was running on the three network. I am in the uk so i think we have it a little easier than our friends in the US.

23. bevsb2 macrumors 68000

I bought the 11" IPP yesterday and when I tried to transfer my existing AT&T account to the new iPad nothing worked. I finally called AT&T and spent around an hour on the phone while they tried to get it work. Finally I was told they would send me a new SIM or I could go to an AT&T store which is what I did this morning. The SIM tray on the new iPad was empty and they gave me a new SIM card at no cost. Quick fix. When I bought the 10.5 iPad last year I was able to activate a new AT&T account quickly so the SIM must have been in the device. Next time I'll know to take the SIM out of my old device before letting it go.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2018 ---
    I tried that and it didn't work for me or for AT&T when I eventually resorted to calling them. There was no SIM card in new iPad's tray. I got one at the AT&T store this morning and everything worked immediately.