No simultaneous voice and data w/ iPhone 5 on AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rdbecker, Sep 21, 2012.

1. rdbecker macrumors newbie

A little shocked to get the the "cellular data connections are not available during this call" message on my new iPhone 5 phone today. I thought AT&T supported this and I know that LTE was rolled out in St. Louis earlier this year. I'm not seeing a whole lot of talk on this subject (unless I'm blind), so I'm not sure what's up. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It can, just not when on GPRS, EDGE, or LTE. If it is on LTE, it will drop to 3G.

3. wiivile macrumors regular

iif youre online with lte and try to make a call, will it not let you?? It should seamlessly drop to 3G. Vice versa... if youre on a call, it should let you use the HSPA internet, since that doesnt involve LTE.

4. rdbecker thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not dropping to 3G while on the phone. No data, period.

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

If you are on a call then you are on 2G or 3G. AT&T doesn't use LTE for phone calls. 3G allows data at the same time.

6. wiivile macrumors regular

because making a call does not involve lte, you should have no problem using voice and data simultaneously. Absolutely no different than previous att iphones. my only question is how the phone behaves when youre using lte internet and then make/receive a call.

7. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Calling AT&T would be the prudent thing to do instead of posting here.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It will let you. It'll drop to 3G first, there may be a slight hiccup, but the hiccup won't be as drastic as the LTE-CDMA hiccup.

9. wiivile macrumors regular

there shouldnt be a hiccup... supposed. to be dynamic/seamless

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Sadly there still is and it is slightly worse for CDMA devices than GSM devices.

11. cwman20 macrumors newbie

Interestingly enough I have tested this on 2 new iphones, both family members, and the same issue arises. This was what I was afraid of and kept me from buying the iPhone 5.

Not sure what the exact issue is, but it might be a combination of Apple & AT&T.

If any one knows how to fix please let us know

12. rdbecker thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this. My phone will briefly display 4G while the call is being placed, but once the voice connection is made it disappears.

13. Alphindor, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

Alphindor macrumors newbie

I and my friend are having a similar problem, without the error message.

I was in AT&T tech chat for almost an hour and we came to no conclusion.
    LTE and 4G without a voice call is fine, but as soon as a voice call comes in, what feels like massive packetloss begins.

I may get data once a minute for 1 second, then it goes back to sending nothing. The indicator says it is dropping down to 4G(or 3G, whatever AT&T wants to call it now) from LTE during the call which is correct, but the data is so sporadic I might as well be on EDGE. As soon as the call is ended, data comes back in a few seconds.

The tech had me reset the phone, reset the network settings, remove and replace the SIM while he did a network reset on his end(I am assuming), and he suggested I do a backup/restore. None of these steps have helped to alleviate the problem.

I may take the phone into a store this week for them to diagnose this, per the AT&T tech's recommendation since apparently this can't be an AT&T problem, and he is pointing at iOS 6(of course he would though). Not to say that may not be the problem, it may very well be a faulty device. It doesn't seem like a lot of people are having this issue, so it may be isolated, but I find it out that both me and my friend specifically have this issue. :(

14. marc133 macrumors newbie

Switch LTE off/on

I went through the same thing last night with the apple rep. None of it worked but this morning I switched LTE off and then made a call and opened web at same time. I then went back and switch LTE back on and it seems to have fixed it. I don't think my phone was showing the switch from LTE to 4G when I made a call before but now it is. Hopefully this works for you too

15. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

Mine works fine. Never noticed if it drops to 3G or not

16. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

As others have said, LTE does NOT support voice AND data at the same time.

When you are on LTE and receive a phone call, it will automatically switch to 4G, then you are able to browse the internet and do whatever.

This is nothing to be worried about, as this is the limitations of LTE.

17. JonnyG macrumors newbie

RE: Switch LTE off/on

This works!!!

Thank God! Next was standing on one foot while scratching my head and rubbing my tummy.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It shouldn't do that.
    I can make calls and use data with my iphone on AT&T with no probs. And anyone can do it as long as you're on 3G/4G hspa+ area.
    I'd call AT&T to see what they say and also try a reset network settings to see if that helps.