iPad No siri on ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by kashyap02004, Sep 19, 2012.

1. kashyap02004 macrumors member

I just updated my ipad 2 to ios 6. But I don't get siri when i press and hold the home button. I also restarted my ipad. BTW my ipad is wifi only model.

Any one having the same problem?

2. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

It's always been that way.

3. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

iPad 2 does not get siri with iOS 6, and it never will.
    why? because apple said so.

4. kashyap02004 thread starter macrumors member

This is disappointing. They mad it look like siri is an ios 6 feature. All this time I was excited to get ios 6. I guess it was just waste of time. See this is what happens when you are none techie.

5. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

They never stated that.

6. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

It is a feature for the iPad (3rd gen).

7. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

always read the fine print ;)

8. Huge125 macrumors member

Huge125

Looks like they're reserving that for newer devices. How about the new App Store on iPad. Pretty clunky huh? That's ok, I don't need to be buying any more random apps anyways. I use to like to surf the App Store at leisure but this one has way too much going on for that to be enjoyable...

I mean I'll probably get use to it but still. Its not the best looking layout at least upon first glance.

9. kashyap02004 thread starter macrumors member

Like I said, I am a none techie. However, if you take a look at the url below. Clearly It seems like the siri will be a part of ios6 on ipads and ipones. But after you told me, I looked at the fine print and yes at very bottom in 10px #888 font size it says "Siri is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad (3rd generation), and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires Internet access. Cellular data charges may apply."

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

10. tnick777 macrumors regular

tnick777

It's ridiculous... it's just a way of adding value to the iPad 3. If they allowed Siri on iPad 2 there would really be no reason to get the iPad 3 except for the retina screen and a small speed boost.

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yeap, no siri for you, but I think you get text-to-speech at least.
    Didn't you realize that Siri wasn't there on your iPad when you had iOS 5? iOS5 is when Siri debuted and was made a big deal by :apple:

12. kashyap02004 thread starter macrumors member

Dude I know, But I looked at this ios page on apple's website. They made it look like siri is part of ios 6 update. Today I learned my lesson. Always spend a few minutes reading the fine prints when it comes to apple.

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

13. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

It's never been like they've hidden the fact. Fine print or not. I knew. Hell, my mom knew.

14. kashyap02004 thread starter macrumors member

Well I am not as tech informed as you and your mom. Good for you.

15. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

My point was my mom is not knowledgable about tech. At all. You didn't research and pay attention. That's not Apple's fault.

16. kashyap02004 thread starter macrumors member

I do research when I need to. That is exactly why I created this thread. Not to argue with you!

17. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

Well, whenever I buy new software, I always check to see it it's compatible with my system.

Let's just call this a "teachable moment."

18. Carlanga, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

no you don't because if you had questioned why it wasn't on your iPad on iOS 5 you would have checked if iOS 6 would be too. :p

I do understand the confusion on someone that is not up to speed on everything :apple: and can definitely confuse and irate non-knowledgebale customers. If my mom where to look at apple's page she would think all those features could work with her older iPhone too.

19. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Yeah, the small print is ... small, but they also said at the keynote that Siri would be coming to the new iPad, but again if you're not that into tech you're not going to sit through a keynote.

I don't see any reason for Siri being left out the iPad 2 other than marketing, but that's Apple all over. However, for what it's worth, I've had it on my new iPad for a while via the iOS 6 betas and I hardly used it. Siri is, on iPad at least, even more of a gimmick than it is on the iPhone.

20. kashyap02004 thread starter macrumors member

Oh I see what you are saying. I got my ipad 2 after they released ipad 3 because it was $100 cheaper. So it came with iOS 5 pre-loaded. So you are saying that the same confusion was created when they released the iOS 5?

----------

I thank you for getting my point.