No Siri on IPAD3, future upgrade possible?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anonymouse99, Mar 7, 2012.

1. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

They did not announce Siri on the new IPad3. Is that a software upgrade or a hardware chip? Meaning, will that require purchasing an entirely new unit in future or will it be possible to simply install some software?

Thanks!

2. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Siri-like voice dictation. Microphone button on keyboard. Supports US English, British, Australian, French, German and Japanese.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

We cannot be sure either way. From past experience Apple normally require new hardware to support new software features.

4. SammyDFG macrumors member

I would think all the hardware in the iPad 3 is capable of having Siri. Siri is just software.

The new iPad 3 feature is only being labeled "voice dictation" instead of Siri because the iPad isn't guaranteed to be connected to internet like an iPhone is so Siri wouldn't be able to answer things like "Where is the nearest coffee shop" without a connection. Siri is really a voice dictation for the internet.

5. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

If hackers can put Siri on earlier generation iPhones and iPod Touches, I'm pretty sure the 2012 iPad can run Siri just splendidly.

The issue is, though, the constant connectivity required. So yes, a software update is possible, but probably unlikely.

6. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

They could easily do it, and the key note isn't over yet, but they may just want to keep it to drive iPhone sales.

7. goldenz macrumors newbie

I have iPad3 and I confirm that the voice dictation is only exist on the keyboard "The Mic Icon". else there is no SIRI GUI on the iPad3 hopping they put it on the next upgrade which means ios6

Note: I'm Using iOS 5.1.1 which is the latest and the Multi Gesture is there.

Regards

8. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Why do people continually toss up the old "Siri needs a data connection at all times and not all iPads have this" argument?

Voice Dictation is not done locally, it requires a connection to Apples server to work, yet is present on the new iPad.

Siri WILL come to the new iPad with iOS 6, as the voice assistant is just an expansion on the UI and another server to connect to (Dictation has a different IP to Assistant).

9. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

A wifi only iPad is not expected to have the same connectivity an iPhone data plan would.
    When Siri doesnt work it is frustrating at best.
    And you are right about dictation using remote servers. Siri is more of a Marketing / 4s thing.

For iOS 6 I would expect Siri functionality to be expanded.

If or when it MAY be added on an iPad, you will have to wait till after the keynote to be sure.

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

this statement is really untrue...wifi is everywhere! It's time to throw out this "no Siri due to not having the same connectivity" argument.
    It is doubtful that is the reason Siri is iPhone 4S only.
    - Slowly building up Siri's server info exclusively by iPhone 4S users to the point where it is good enough to be released on other devices (out of beta) is a more reasonable argument.

11. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

No WIFI is not everywhere.

If you work it is NOT:
    In my company van.
    Not at most corporate locations or requires some specical acces code.
    Floating around in most big box stores.
    Back 40.
    Interstate.
    etc. etc.

Free WIFI everywhere is an illusion unless your Everywhere is very very small.

12. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

He is right though, the whole "no Siri on iPad due to connectivity issues" is utterly pointless because it's factually wrong.

Dictation exists on ALL models of the new iPad, even those which have WiFi only. Dictation, as I'm sure you're aware, works the exact same way as Siri assistant in that you speak, voice data is sent to Apple's server, and the results returned.

The very fact that Dictation is on the new iPad completely disproves every single person who claims Siri is not on the iPad because of a non-constant data connection.

Dictation is already there, it works exactly the same, so Siri assistant will follow.

----------

As I said above, it's utterly bemusing how some fail to see that Dictation is already present on ALL new iPad models, regardless of WiFi only or 3G, therefore the whole 'it's not on iPad because there's no constant data connection' is null and void.

Dictation needs a data connection, it is present. Siri will come to the new iPad on iOS 6 when it's finally out of beta and the interface is finalised.

I could of course be wrong, but the fact Dictation is already there and on non-data enabled iPads says it's pretty obvious it's a mere matter of adding the interface and access for Siri.

13. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

The Dictation feature is not the same as Siri.

There are other issues also, such as iCloud and reminder syncing, no access to search functionality, such as via wolfram alpha. There are a lot of drawbacks to having Siri working on a wifi only iPad without access to a hotspot. Thats if it's even possible at all.

14. WeegieMac, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I know it's not the same FEATURE.

It DOES however work the exact same as Siri.

You activate it, you speak, voice is sent to Apple, the information is relayed back.

The only difference is the server I.D ... Dictation has a different IP to assistant.

The very fact that Dictation, which also REQUIRES a data connection to work, is present on WiFi only iPads as well as 3G/4G iPads, proves that the argument that Siri needs a constant data connection is null and void.

If Apple put Dictation on there, which requires a connection, then Siri would be perfectly plausible also.

Quick Edit: noticed your point about Wolfram Alpha ... when you ask Siri in the UK, for example, "Who is Steve Jobs", the info that comes up carries the Wolfram Alpha badge in the bottom right corner.

15. atrevers macrumors regular

atrevers

Safari requires an Internet connection to display anything, I can't believe they included it on the iPad. Ahem.

16. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

[​IMG]

17. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I know that, but it won't work without a hotspot connection regardless, and those other features won't either, it ruins the consistency of approach for such a supposedly flagship feature.

I'm not saying it won't happen, just that it would surprise me as sacrifices would have to made.

18. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Yup, but again ... dictation has the exact same stipulations and is present, which is why I think Siri is a no brainer. There's every chance I'm wrong, but given that both dictation and assistant need to connect to Apple's servers, the fact one exists on iPad suggests the other part is coming.

If they weren't bringing Siri over when out of beta, then why bother with Dictation? They're both near identical in how they operate.

We'll find out on Monday, and if I'm wrong it won't be the first time!

19. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

You are absolutely correct.

Siri can run on the new iPad.

The hardware is more than capable as long as there is a current data connection.

As I said before is was a marketing iPhone 4S decision.

They didn't put a camera on the first iPad either and not because they couldn't.

Siri for better or worse is moving down the path of app to OS component.

It's not just the backed that's evolving from the current beta but the client piece and API's as well.

iOS 6 will give us all a peek at how far it has come and end some of the speculation.
    This should fuel the next round of debate along the lines of why Apple did that, what were they thinking.

20. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

My everywhere is a big city! There is nowhere I cannot connect to wifi in London apart from tubes (I wouldn't wish to there anyway)
    Why would you want to use Siri in big box stores, back 40 or the interstate anyway??? (with an iPad) I still stand by connectivity not being the reason it is lacking on iPad. It's a lame, inaccurate argument I am not willing to have one day before the keynote. Come back to me after that....The picture could be a little clearer...