No Siri?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sanford, Nov 17, 2011.

1. sanford macrumors 65816

Is it just me or have people generally stopped posting about Siri being down? I haven't had Siri work since at least Tuesday -- granted, I've only tried a couple or three times a day. I'm getting the "I'm really sorry, but I can't take any requests right now," message. The new one, that's supposed to indicate the problem is with Siri on the server-side, not a local network issue. But that's ALL I'm getting.

Anyone else, with consistency, no Siri service right now?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

3. sanford, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

sanford thread starter macrumors 65816

Rebooted, switched Siri off/on, reset network settings, all the usual "fixes." On Wi-Fi, on 3G. Nothing.

I don't so much mind erratic uptime from beta services; but it's annoying that unless the problem is so widespread it generates a large number of web posts, even news reports, I don't absolutely know the problem is not on my end. Though, reasonably, of course it's not, it's server-side.

My phone was off all day Monday. Maybe that was it. Siri "lost track of me." If that's it, it'll eventually refresh and magically start working again.

Update: I updated to 5.0.1 over the air (OTA), and come to think of it, Siri hasn't worked since right about then. Saw a few notes about people updating to 5.0.1 OTA, then doing full restore from backup by wire via iTunes (which DLs the full 800 MB 5.0.1 iOS update and installs it) and Siri working again from there on out, no problem. I'm going to start that, go for a walk -- taking a while to DL the full as opposed to OTA iOS update -- let it restore, load the iTunes backup I made a couple of minute ago, see what happens.

I'll post back, but I got a solid five dollars says that fixes it. SOME, though I doubt ALL, 5.0.1 OTA updates (possibly future OTA updates, too) whack Siri. Will confirm, though.

Update 2: Confirmed, fixed after full restore followed by reload of full backup made right before restore. Siri working as well or better than ever -- though I had to reteach the system my contact relationships (wife, kids, parents, etc.) and I'm sure some other particulars will have to be retaught; this may have resulted from turning Siri off and on a few times in attempts to get it working. It was almost certainly the 5.0.1 update that caused Siri to stop working for me, and may well have been because I updated OTA instead of by wire via iTunes.

4. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

I have got this message several times this week but when I try back, sometimes in less than a minute it works fine, I think the servers are just jam packed right now.