HomePod No 'skills' for HomePod announced at WWDC

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by darthbane2k, Jun 5, 2018.

1. darthbane2k macrumors 6502a

As the title, it was disappointing that Apple did not announce any way for Developers to expand the smart features of HomePod akin to amazon echo Skills.
    Does this prove that Apple aren't interested in this at all? Or are Siri Shortcuts our means of extending the capabilities of HomePod?

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Would hope shortcuts would be tied in to all devices HomePod included

3. marklemac macrumors regular

marklemac

gotta say I was expecting some 'siri' news for HomePod. :(

4. BlankStar macrumors 6502

BlankStar

I was hoping so badly for the HomePod to become a HomeKit-device (not just a hub), so it could be used in scenes and stuff...

5. marklemac macrumors regular

marklemac

maybe we'll have another event for the HomePod in the future ?

6. Shanghaichica, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018

Shanghaichica macrumors 604

Shanghaichica

Siri shortcuts and joining face time Audio are new features for the HomePod.

Attached Files:

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I thought they mentioned that Siri was going to be improved, again.

8. chrisgeleven, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018

chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

From what I've heard, you can install Siri Shortcuts onto a HomePod for use.

Introduction to Siri Shortcuts supposedly has a bunch of info (from this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/8ozrua/introduction_to_siri_shortcuts/)

Edit: Watching the video, sounds like (in the case of media), that the Siri Shortcut when invoked via a HomePod will still connect to your iOS device to fetch/stream the content. Not sure how this would work if your phone is not at your house. I'm also not sure what this means for houses with multiple people, can you "pair" two iPhones to an HomePod?

9. cynics macrumors G4

Makes sense, why make a new store when they can leverage their current one. Using SiriKit you can get the obvious functionality from merchandise apps "Order a large pizza from papa johns", "Order 2 dozen roses for my mistress", "Get me an uber to my lawyer"....you know.....standard stuff....

And depending on the API's Alexa like skills can be added. Although I think Apple will go right to ads so there is a revenue stream right out of the gate. Hopefully they aren't as obnoxious as Alexa's.

It likely wouldn't work without your phone at your house like certain features now. That isn't terrible though, you wouldn't want people ordering stuff on your dime right?