no sleep issue on (open) MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by inaland, Aug 9, 2008.

1. inaland macrumors newbie

I have all the new OSX updates and I don't know which one came last.
    But since a week or so, my macbookpro doesn't go to sleep anymore when I leave it open. I tried everything. The display goes to sleep normally but not the computer.
    Does someone have the same issue?
    I uninstalled the wireless utililty of istat pro because i heard that it was making some problems. But for the rest... no idea. I also tried with bluetooth and airport disabled. It just doesn't want to sleep anymore...

thanks.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Check your settings in System Preferences -> Energy Saver. Try changing them and then changing them back to your liking. Then reboot.

3. inaland thread starter macrumors newbie

no that's not the problem. I can change the settings in the energy saver.
    the settings for putting the display to sleep work.
    the settings for putting the computer to sleep don't work.

Does someone know the problem?

4. tsl90 macrumors member

5. inaland thread starter macrumors newbie

no. nothing in my expresscard slot.
    the computer doesn't sleep (when open). Not on power adapter and not on battery power.
    thanks for any help.

6. Jas123 macrumors member

I had the same problem. Myself and some others found the problem to be software or an app that alters the menu bar. My problem was caused by SmcFanControl and Istat Menu. I think another program called "youcontrol" or something like that was a culprit as well.

7. inaland thread starter macrumors newbie

still no solution!

I still didn't find the solution to the problem. I took istat out (which is a pity because it can be a very usefull tool sometimes).
    Anyone knows more?
    Thanks a lot!

8. fasa macrumors newbie

Similar problem

Hi, I have been experiencing a similar problem for the last few weeks. Has anyone discovered the cause?
    thanks!

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

10. grubworth macrumors member

I'm getting no sleep because of no new macbook pros.

11. inaland thread starter macrumors newbie

no sleep issue when mbp is open remains

nope!!!!

i tried all the solutions, the problem remains...:eek:

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

do you have Little Snitch installed? i just found out it was the culprit of my MBP's insomnia as it went to sleep like a baby after i uninstalled it.

13. avingochea macrumors member

YEAH ME TOO! I have a macbook 2.2ghz 4gb ram and it used to go to sleep just fine.. Now it doesn't go to sleep at all.. all night. I have to close it, and it just hibernates... I hate that... But yeah I can't figure it out either...

14. cubedweller macrumors 6502

I have the same exact problem. My MBP won't sleep when on battery mode (and sometimes even when plugged in). The display will shut off but the computer doesn't sleep and the battery will drain 100%. It even failed to sleep the other day when I actually closed the lid -- I came home from work and the machine was so hot I could hardly touch it. That's when I made my appointment with the Apple Store.

I took my MBP into Apple last night; basically I have to backup all my data and ship it off to Apple for repair work. I've reformatted the machine a few times now hoping that the problems would be corrected but the problems still persist.

I'd suggest calling Apple or making an appointment.

EDIT: I've tried resetting PRAM; repairing permissions, etc.

15. rafaelnonato macrumors newbie

16. taphil macrumors regular

I discovered the same problem on my 17" UMBP last night. I finally narrowed it down to a website opened in Safari. With Safari running with just one of my usual websites, it went to sleep fine. I had 8 tabs open of websites I read daily, and one of them is causing the problem. I haven't narrowed it down to which specific website yet.