NO SLI on new Mac Pro!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ildondeigiocchi, Mar 3, 2009.

1. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Seems that the new mac pro doesn't have SLI as was speculated. Personally, I think that what Apple released is very disappointing! Will 2 4870 in Crossfire work on my O8 Mac Pro? Oh and another question how many 6-pin power connectors does the new Mac Pro have?

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

I didn't actually expect SLI. Crossfire might be another story, as there's no licensing involved. :)

I wouldn't be extremely hopeful however. :rolleyes: :apple:

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Not sure about the new ones, but all the previous ones had two. And since there is no BTO option for more than one 4870, I would suspect the new ones also (only) have two.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

deleted.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Intel sure loves ATI with Crossfire support on nearly any dual slot PCI-Express x16 board.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We never speculated that... :confused:

Tylersburg has SLI support, so we MIGHT be able to do it in Windows ONLY.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

On the windows side, Yes, but the real trick is, will it be supported under OS X?

I'm not yet aware of support being implemented for OS X. Hopefully, this will be the case, but Apple has yet to do it. There's no licensing, unlike SLI, so that's not an issue. And ATI has been writing their own drivers as well.
    Hopefully. :)

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Has support but given the current climate of Intel vs. nVidia on chipsets it's doubtful on an Apple board.

Maybe in Snow Leopard? Not that I have any hope for Apple anymore.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Perhaps, but if it will be available, I'd think it's already in the drivers.

Keep in mind, I'm assuming ATI developed the drivers as they have been, and had enough time to develop properly. They have the experience at least. ;) :p

10. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I guess we 08' users will keep waiting for the Westmere Mac Pro to deliver what Apple didn't with the Nehalem Mac Pro.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

The new architecture can deliver quite a bit, but given Apple's specs/pricing, it's probably going to be out of reach by many previous customers. :(

The performance page isn't using the base model for comparison. It requires the 2.66GHz or better parts, and they're nuts on cost. :rolleyes: :(