No / slow internet access on T-Mo

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bjb.butler, Sep 15, 2009.

1. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I have an unlocked / jailbroken 3G on Tmobile USA. I have the unlimited data plan. The Internet works fine, but when I open certain apps (tweetdeck, cydia), I get an error saying that there is no Internet connection or that it is extremely slow, then the app contnues to load as normal. This happens even when I have good reception.

2. MeghanMichelle macrumors newbie

3. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

well you're on t-mobile aka edge. obviously its slow.

4. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

What do you expect. Tmobile is one of the smallest networks And has some of the worst coverage. And being that you CANT use 3g on your iPhone with tmobile it's pretty much a lose lose choice that you made.

So just call tmobile and try asking why the iPhone isn't working correctly on their network. :)

5. bjb.butler thread starter macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I have been with Tmobile for over 5 years. I pay $84.99 for unlimited minutes, data, and messages. If I would have an equivalent plan on AT$T, I would be paying over $65 more per month.

And T-Mobile doesn't have the "worst" coverage. They just aren't as prevalent in rural areas. In large cities (where I grew up and where I attend university), the coverage is spot-on. No complaints. I'm getting the same reception as my AT$T roommates, and I am paying way less... That seems like a win-win to me.

Please don't litter this thread with useless posts that don't help solve the problem.

6. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Well seeing as how the "unlimited" minutes plan on the tmobile website starts at 99.99 I really doubt you pay 84.99.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/...ndvidual-cell-phone-plan&WT.z_shop=Individual

7. bjb.butler thread starter macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

8. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

T-Mobile has been bumping iPhone users off their Sidekick data plans, indicating that they are aware of and looking at iPhone users on their network. It may be worth a call to T-Mobile to see if there are any issues on their end in case they are flagging iPhones on their other data plans... :confused:

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It has been happening to me ever since the 3.1 update/unlock. I believe it has to do with the new OS or ultrasn0w's compatibility. Tweetdeck gives me the same message as you and then continues to function properly. Weird, but not a big deal.

10. Justin W macrumors newbie

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    My "Edit APN" from cydia, isn't working. And I don't wanna bother doing it through the website on mobile safari.

12. Justin W macrumors newbie

I meant to change the APN address in network settings...

Home Screen > Settings > General > Network > Celular Data Network > APN
    Try the following addresses in the APN field:
    epc.tmobile.com
    internet2.voicestream.com
    wap.voicestream.com