no sms sound

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ravikc, Aug 27, 2008.

1. ravikc Guest

i think i read this before but on my iphone..like if i reboot it my incoming sms will give me the sound and vibration..after a couple..or an hour later it just starts vibrating and the sound stops

like i said i think ive read somoene else having this prob and i apologize if its a known issue

any help would be appreciated tho

2. Clyde099 macrumors regular

I have this issue once in a while too. Tried restoring and rebooting but nothing seems to work for me.

3. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

It ruins my whole day when I don't hear that sound.

4. JRomero macrumors regular

JRomero

This happens to me a lot. Rebooting and restoring doesn't work.

I always thought it was just my phone. Maybe a software bug?

5. ribenaberrie macrumors member

It happens to me sometimes, but I keep thinking maybe I just didn't hear it because no matter how loud I set it, its still really soft. But now someone else has the same problem, maybe I am not imagining things.

Hope theres a fix for it. I hate missing my messages. :mad:

6. jasincity macrumors member

I have the exact same problem as the Op. No matter how often I reset, the sound will disappear after about an hour.

7. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    yes I have had the EXACT same problem for ages! This is the first time I've seen anything in here about it, and it's ironic because I was about to come start a thread on it!!!

But it goes beyond the simple SMS sound for me. The 'wake' and 'sleep' sounds on the iphone go in and out occasionally. Usually in conjunction with the lack of sms sound, but NOT always.

Plus right now I am getting all 3 of those sounds but I'm not getting the little clicks for when I'm typing to message!!

CRAZY!!!

software update plz!!!

8. ribenaberrie macrumors member

Just wanted to update that I think I might not have the same problem. Was telling my husband about it and how everybody else is getting the same problem but mine is usually when I am in the car and he told me the phone isn't make a sms sound because its connected to the car via bluetooth... :eek:

Might need to take more notice from now on and see... :p

9. macbookpronoob macrumors member

same thing happens to me as well. when the sound goes away pick another sound and the new sound will go off when you get a sms. when that sound goes away pick a new one. this is just a quick fix. when all sounds are used up ... well then just keep restarting the phone until it comes back.

10. tiggery2k3 macrumors member

tiggery2k3

i have had this happen quite alot, but i think its been a known firmware issue. sometimes its not just the sms sounds that go either for me, it can be everything and other times its just sms sounds. most of the time a reboot usually helps although a pain in the a**. hope theres a fix soon :apple:

11. bluelondon macrumors regular

12. ravikc thread starter Guest

oh wow - okay well lets hope theres a fix soon

thanks for the responses - glad im not the only one

13. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

Do you guys have your silent profile set to vibrate?

Never happened for me before until today when I set up my sound profile slightly differently, I have......

Silent -> Vibrate ON

Ring -> Vibrate OFF

I turned off the silent vibrate and it came back, maybe just a coincidence but maybe worth a try?

14. inflynx macrumors member

Yep, same here. SMS sound goes away after a while as well as lockning/unlocking sound and incoming mail. Sux...

15. AGEC2008 macrumors member

Same thing happened to me, and I had some problems with my phone freezing during an incoming call. I drove to the nearest apple store (hr and a half away), and got a new one. Everything worked well for two days and its been back to the same ol since. I really hope they get this taken care of as this is my main problem. I sometimes regret getting the phone when I miss phone calls and sms so often.