NO SNapshot file on my Desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mikezang, Jan 28, 2011.

1. mikezang macrumors 6502a

There was no any problems before, but today when I try to take snapshot by the same way as before, thought I can hear sound for taking photo, but there is no any files on specific folder!

I am not sure if this is relevant to installed OnyX and TinkerTool, then I used them to config snapshot folder and so on.

Please help me, because I can't submit any snapshot files since now!

2. simsaladimbamba

With "snapshot" do you mean screenshot?
    Do you use the keyboard shortcuts or the Grab application or another method?
    And have you taken a look at Onyx and TinkerTool to find where you can set the screenshot storing folder?
    If you use keyboard commands, you could try using Spotlight to find the files, which are normally titled "Screen shot 2011-01-28 at 3.19.23 PM.png".

3. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I mean screen shot, some days ago, there was no any problems, bit now no any files, I searched using spotlight, but no any files, this is why I felt bad!
    NO any files with date of now in my Mac OS X.

4. simsaladimbamba

Again, did you use the keyboard commands or Grab or another application or way to take screenshots?
    And have you taken a look at Onyx or TinkerTool, if they are the way to change the screenshot storing folder? You mentioned those applications and seem to suspect them, that is why I ask.

5. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I use keyboard commands to take screenshots, I checked folder configure in OnyX and TinkerTool, I also tried to change to different folder, but the result is no change.
    I checked my Finder, the last screen shot file is SnapShot 2011-01-12 at 21.32.24.jpg, I am not sure why I can't do it no longer...

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Are you sure you aren't using the command to create a screenshot file rather than a screenshot to clipboard?

7. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mean can't create screenshots file, not to clipboard.
    By the way, how can I check if there is a picture in clipboard?

8. simsaladimbamba

9. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I like the old way too.

But it's now like how Windows does it - once you invoke the keyboard command, immediately open Preview, and go to File -> New from Clipboard. Your screenshot will show up then.

11. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are wrong, I tried, there is no anything in Clipboard, CMD+N is in gray, I can't use it to paste anything!

I found mu Mac OS X might be in strange, because Safari is in hang up always, then when I try to use preview to take screen shot, I got fault "Preview quit unexpected" and I sent report to Apple.

How can I check if my OS has problem in graphics?

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just to check, since you haven't yet given the specifics, you are using the keyboard shortcut Command-Shift-3 or -4 to take a screenshot, right?

Try deleting the com.apple.screencapture.plist and com.apple.Grab.plist files in your user library. One of those might have become corrupted, especially since you said trying to change the folder didn't seem to work in an earlier troubleshooting step.

jW

13. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your suggestion, I deleted com.apple.screen capture.plist, there is no com.apple.Grab.plist, still not any files created.

14. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just want to say thank you very much!

After reboot, I got default name screen shot file on Desktop,

Then I found the reason why no files created, because I used TinkerTool to set screen shot folder, I don't know why no other people used TinkerTool reported this bug.

Now I use OnyX to set folder, it is ok!