No so sure about improved reception

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deimos256, Jun 23, 2010.

1. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

so one of the big things i was looking forward to with the iphone 4 was the improved antenna performance. Now while I havent placed a call with it yet, i can already tell I get the same, if not worse reception compared to my 3g. Where i used to get full bars laying on my desk and about 2 while holding it, the iphone 4 is now about 3 bars laying on desk and usually just 1 bar while holding it, sometimes slipping into "searching" I had held off on a microcell until I tested this, but it looks like Ill be purchasing one now. Anyone else in a marginal coverage area getting the same feelings? Btw this is not an AT&T slam considering they are the only provider that gets service in my home.

2. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I don't pay too much attention to the bars, since the "bars" always lied on the old iPhones. Sorry, but if I have -100db then I should show 4 bars.

But, yeah, this dropping service altogether thing is troubling. I'm afraid it's the phone now.

3. bahooki macrumors regular

What a huge mother****ing letdown. Every review I read, including Uncle Walt Fanboy says they get fewer dropped calls, but they also get worse reception, often times getting NO SERVICE messages where they never used to before. That's just unacceptable, and unfortunately what it means for people like me is that I'm in for two more years of garbage phone service.

4. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

5. bahooki macrumors regular

6. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I was sorta thinking the same thing. :( My 3G falls back on Edge a lot while loading a page on Safari. I was thinking the new iPhone would have addressed that.

It would seem 4.0 is in dire need of an update, already. :eek:

7. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Great.

I have a bad feeling this thread is going to be stickied once more people activate. I'm pretty sure it's a software issue, at least. Apple should fix it within the next 4 months. :apple:

8. bahooki macrumors regular

According to Walt, Apple claims the bar representation is a bug. In other words, when you see 2 bars, it should be 3 or 4 I guess. But what's not a bug is the dropped connectivity completely. That's the phone. And that's hardware/software combined. Hopefully something can be done.

9. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Apple has already stated there is a bug in the way the bar are being displayed and is working on an update. The amount of bar being displayed might not be a good representation of your connection now.

10. bahooki macrumors regular

But the constant NO SERVICE message is a good representation of your connection...you dont have one.

11. AJerman macrumors member

4 bars for -100db? -100db is a pretty poor signal. That should be more like 1 bar.

12. PezRadar macrumors regular

Pretty sure bars means nothing.. and one of the reviews said that Apple acknowledged it as a bug.. that when you had 0 bars.. it really was like 2-3 bars on your 3gs.

13. deimos256 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know its just the area I live in that gets marginal service, my bock to be exact,if i go a mile in any direction i get solid 5 bars 3g, i just hoped the 4 would handle marginal service better, after all we dont all live in uber covered metro areas. Anyhow i would imagine 4's getting nothing where their predecessors got some service would certainly be a bug, hopefully itll correct this.

14. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I meant "shouldn't". Sorry.

15. AJerman macrumors member

Oh, then I agree. I've seen my 3G go to 5 bars somewhere like -90 to -100 and that's stupid. -80db or so should be 5 bars.