No Software Updates?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheStu, Nov 16, 2007.

1. TheStu macrumors 65816

iPhoto has an update, but everytime I run Software Update, it says that I have no updates. It also doesn't have the 10.5.1 update listed... WTF?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you able to install them manually from the Apple site?

3. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

This update is for iPhoto 7 (iLife '08 only). You have that installed?

4. TheStu thread starter macrumors 65816

I was able to get 10.5.1 from Apple's site directly, but even after that there is still no iphoto update, and I do have iphoto 08 (just double-checked).

Weird, huh?

5. John01021988 macrumors 6502

check what version of iPhoto are you using, maybe it updated itself and u did not even noticed about the update (iPhoto, About iPhoto)

6. theman macrumors 6502a

yeah, it's possible it updated once when you started iphoto. However it's strange you didn't get 10.5.1. How long did you wait?

7. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah this sounds weird if you're not getting any updates at all. Maybe something is wrong with your receipts. I guess you could try repairing permissions for kicks to see if that fixes it.

8. TheStu thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, to cover everything :)

iPhoto should be version 7.1.1, but mine is currently at 7.1 If I start iPhoto, it tells me that I have an update available, but it ends up launching Software Update which then tells me that I have no updates available.

I finally updated to 10.5.1 last night by downloading the update from Apple's site directly. Still Software Update does not work... I am trying repairing permissions, will report back when I know more.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

10. theman macrumors 6502a

And lastly.... call Apple! I bet they know how to fix it... even if you have to wait on hold multiple times for about 2 hours!

11. TheStu thread starter macrumors 65816

OK, here is what I have to report.

Repairing File Permissions did nothing.
    Dragging the com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist file did nothing, neither did deleting it.
    I was at an Apple store just a few hours ago and brought this up with them. Erase and Install was the answer (which I am reticent to do since this is not a system crippling thing, just an annoyance)

I appreciate all the ideas, if any of you have more, keep em coming!

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried a different network? Have you tried a fresh user account? I completely agree that a fresh reinstall is total overkill. :)

13. TheStu thread starter macrumors 65816

I have not tried a fresh user account, but it does not work at my friend's apartment which is about as different a network as I can make it.

Here is a Netgear SuperG wireless router attached to a DSL Modem
    There is a DLink G wireless router attached to a Cable Modem

14. TheStu thread starter macrumors 65816

I have not tried a fresh user account, but it does not work at my friend's apartment which is about as different a network as I can make it.

Here is a Netgear SuperG wireless router attached to a DSL Modem
    There is a DLink G wireless router attached to a Cable Modem

Switching to another User did the trick. ANd I think I figured out the culprit.

I had installed the LittleSnitch 2 Beta. I thought I had uninstalled it (used their uninstaller) but no. When I went into the newly created user account, LittleSnitch came up.

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

16. TheStu thread starter macrumors 65816

I really have no idea to be honest. There are no updates available right now, so I have to wait until any others come along.

That being said, the LittleSnitch Configurator is still sitting in my Applications folder (this is after trying to uninstall it TWICE!!!) God, I hate programs that will not get rid of themselves. The terrible thing is that I am actually, honest to god, considering doing a clean install of Leopard in order to take care of this LittleSnitch issue.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Did you read their FAQ as to how best to uninstall it?

18. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

And what's the problem with that? A lot of people like doing clean installs everytime a new OS is released. Leopard is far from perfect, and doing a clean install may fix some of the issues you seem to be having with it.