No song titles with car stereo in Bluetooth

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mikedavid00, Dec 22, 2011.

1. mikedavid00 macrumors newbie

I have a JVC car stereo that I just got installed. It advertises that it support iPhone and such.

I was able to sync to the unit and it does play music wirelessly.

However,

It does NOT display title, playlist info, nothing on the car stereo. It just sits blank.

I'm curious if anyone here knows of any knowledge of an OS update on the iPhone caused this problem.

2. Jamkas macrumors member

No I don't believe this is on the iPhone's side.

I have a Bluetooth stereo in my car.

Though when my phone is connected to Bluetooth and I'm playing music through Bluetooth on my phone it has never displayed Artists or Song Titles. BUT when I plug my phone in via USB to dock connector it allows me to control the iPod and view Artists and Song Titles. My stereo also claimed to "Support iPhone/iPod".

Check to see if your Head Unit has a USB port where you can plug your iPod/iPhone cable into.

3. Bloodfaya macrumors newbie

Your car stereo must support AVRCP 1.3 in order to display track/artist info over bluetooth.

Edit: AVRCP 1.3 support was included in ios5, prior to that it did not work even if your car stereo was compliant.

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I have BT audio in my car as well. The artist/track/album didn't show until I upgraded to the 4S, which has BT 4.0. I don't really know the profile that the stereo has. But, prior to the 4S, no data was shown, but I could skip/previous, and control volume. It's a 2010 Prius.

5. Bloodfaya macrumors newbie

Doubt it has to do with the iPhone version, my car stereo started showing it once I upgraded my 3GS to ios5 (which supports AVRCP 1.3).

6. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I had the iPhone 4 upgraded to iOS 5 for a couple weeks before I received my 4S, it wasn't showing the info. As soon as I paired the 4S, the info showed.

7. mikedavid00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting.

My Car stereo is from 2008.

I have iOS 5 and an iPhone 3GS.

I can't get any text to display on Bluetooth.. but man Bluetooth sure is handy though..

8. Bloodfaya macrumors newbie

Interesting, I thought it was exclusively the AVRCP 1.3 protocol that enabled this.
    Just out of curiosity, may I ask what the specs in the car stereo manual says about compatible Bluetooth protocols?

9. Bloodfaya macrumors newbie

Interested in knowing what supported Bluetooth protocols your stereo manual lists too. Pretty sure it's A2DP that enables the audio transfer in stereo over Bluetooth.

10. mikedavid00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure.. this is what I have though..

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028477&pathId=133&page=3&archive=true

On the box it has the iPhone logo and such as well as Bluetooth.

Only basic functionality works of playing music and moving to the next song. Any displaying of text does not work at all. This was also verified by the sales guy at the store on another smaller JVC unit when he synced with Bluetooth and his iPod touch.

11. takeshi74, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This

Year doesn't really mean much. My wife has a 2008 vehicle with Bluetooth and it doesn't support AVRCP.

Odd thing is that this headunit supports AVCRP 1.3. Look at page 67 of the manual (available via the link posted by the OP). I'd suggest trying to pair again though my suggestion is the equivalent of "try rebooting".

But did you re-pair the 4 and your head unit after upgrading? Capabilities are determined during pairing.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Unless JVC offers a firmware update it sounds like an old or buggy Bluetooth stack.

My gripe with 99% of the consumer products that could get firmware updates is only 1% do.

13. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

I would call either JVC or Crutchfield. Annoyingly, I think you can duped about what bluetooth capabilities your deck actually has.

14. mikedavid00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes my deck claims to support the correct Bluetooth so it seems that it's an issue with JVC and their developers. I'll call them when I make some time. I don't expect to get any support from them. The product is discontinued and likely out of warranty. Even their new stuff in the store isn't showing track info so I'm not sure where they messed up.

Of course, it couldn't be the iPhone updating their iOS and everything craps out with third party devices. That of never happens.

15. derekivey macrumors newbie

I just bought a 2012 Mazda 3, which advertises support for AVRCP 1.3 and my iPhone 4S (running iOS 5.0.1) doesn't work either. I tried my HP Touchpad (running Android / CM 7.3) and it works fine, so I believe Apple either has a weird or buggy implementation of AVRCP 1.3.

Derek

16. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Mine works fine in my car. But I have a 2010 Prius IV.

17. derekivey macrumors newbie

Are you on 5.0.1?

18. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Yup. I paired my iPad 2 with 5.0.1 also and it shows all the song info also (title/artist/album name). I also can control volume, next/previous track.

19. Bloodfaya, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

Bloodfaya macrumors newbie

I've got a 2011 Mazda 6, works perfectly since iOS5...
    (Prior to iOS5 it just showed "--- ---- ---")

What bugs me with it (i.e. the Mazda stereo) though is that it does not scroll the text, so when a title is longer than the amount of digits on that area of the display showing it, you only see that first part (there is a button to toggle what you see also, so you can press it and see the rest but what good is that?
    I think that button also toggles between time info (remaining, played etc.) so maybe you need to play around with that a bit to choose to display the track or artist title?
    Not near my car now so I can't verify, but am pretty sure the button says "INFO"...)

Edit: The button says "TEXT".