No sound after 10.8 update

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ImTheOne, Aug 1, 2012.

1. ImTheOne macrumors member

I have the 2011 Quad Core iMac, after upgrading to 10.8 I no longer have any sound output devices showing up. There is no red light coming out of the headphone jack, I have already cleared PRAM/SMC and it doesn't help, with that being said, when I hold Command, Option, P, R everyone says "let it go after x beeps" problem is, I don't hear any beeps because the speakers aren't sending sound. I also am unable to hear sound if I plug in headphones, nothing shows up on the Output Device menu there either.
    I have the ability to adjust the volume (but hear no clicks).
    Any suggestions?

2. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

What shows up in the Audio section in System Information.app? If there's nothing there that sounds like some drivers got hosed in the update to ML. Have you tried creating a new user account? Try a fresh install of to ML?

3. ImTheOne thread starter macrumors member

I have tried creating a new user account thinking maybe it was something on the local user. After creating new user I rebooted and logged straight in with no luck there either. I have not yet tried the fresh install of ML yet, I was going to see if anyone here had any suggestions prior to that. I have backed everything up prior to posting this in the event that it was my last resort and if I had to possibly take it back to Apple to look at. I was hoping that Time Machine isn't going to grab the issue if it is a library or driver issue.

4. ImTheOne thread starter macrumors member

I have completed a fresh install of 10.7 just to see if that would fix it and it was also a no go. Fully updated etc, it seems like the problem almost expanded, now the volume controls don't work and look like the attached pic. It appears as though I will have to go to Apple tomorrow unless someone else has any other suggestions. Also, still seeing no output devices in sound prefs.

Attached Files:

5. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

A hardware issue then. Time for a trip to the apple store :-(

6. ImTheOne thread starter macrumors member

That is indeed what I was afraid of, luckily it is under warranty still! I wish the new models were out, might get lucky and receive one of those!

7. WesCole macrumors 6502a

This might sound obvious, but did you check your default audio output device? After I upgraded to ML, it switched my default output to LogMeIn's output, so I wasn't getting any sound.

Edit: Nevermind, I noticed you checked the output device already. I should've read more closely. :)

8. ImTheOne thread starter macrumors member

After installing ML it had completely removed the Internal Speakers from the Output device list, the only thing I had listed was the LogMeIn one after. That was my initial thought as well, was that it had just swapped. Then I saw that it indeed had disappeared. I am assuming it just isn't reading the hardware right. In your guy's opinion, is this a logic board and speaker replacement or are they going to replace the entire iMac?

9. firedept, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Had this exact issue when I upgraded to Lion. Lost all volume and control of it. Called Apple Support and after about 2 hours still no results. Told me it was hardware (possibly hard drive) so advised me to take it to store as it was only 4 months old. Took to Apple Store and after 4 days, $125.00 and still no direct answer, I at least had my volume and control of it back. Lucky for me this upgrade to ML was perfect. The only answer I ever got was that because it was a software issue, I had to pay. They believe I had a conflict with some of my software, but upon bringing the computer home and reinstalling all my apps and other programs I have never had a problem again. I know this won't help you but I hope it gives you a heads up if you have to deal with support or store.

iMac 27" 2011 i7 16GB

10. ImTheOne thread starter macrumors member

I had read somewhere else that someone ended up having to pay because Apple blamed it on a Software issue also, mostly the reason I went back to 10.7 and just fully updated it. I believe I am just going to stick to the story of "Turned it on and it just happened" that everyone likes to play. IMO this isn't a software issue, especially since I fully reinstalled and it still doesn't function, I don't even have the Apple "BONG" when I turn it on. I am kind of upset this happened this weekend as I have a ton of stuff I needed to get done on it, but I don't have another day in the future to take it in. Fingers crossed they just give me another one and don't "troubleshoot" for the next 5 days.

11. Maxcorpious macrumors newbie

Sounds like that is the best thing to do in the future, just tell them it's not working. If you talk too much they might try to make you pay for service on something that is still under warranty. That's what I would do. :D

12. ImTheOne thread starter macrumors member

Well, took it in and they ran hardware scans but saw no issues, he couldn't get it to work with anything and said that me clearing PRAM and doing a fresh install obviously didn't help so he sent it off to be repaired. Unless they find anything additional wrong with it, it looks like it is costing them around 600$ (logic board, audio cable, labor) odd to me that they didn't put down "possibly speaker issue" because of the speakers werent initializing it still wouldn't work. Who knows, guess well find out in a week! Was really hoping to just swap it so I didn't have down time. Oh well atleast it's 600$ out of their pocket and not mine.

13. excommie macrumors regular

After my install, the default audio device was switched to Apple TV. Not sure why, but after changing it to internal speakers everything is fine.

14. ImTheOne thread starter macrumors member

So, I'm not sure of its a miracle or not, but somehow I dropped it off Friday evening 5:30PM to have it repaired, it was suppose to be shipped to the repair facility and take 3-7 business days to be back and ready for pickup. I received an email this evening (around 6:00pm) stating that it was ready to be picked up. I can't decide if they found more issues and are just bringing me in to replace it or if they actually are that good and were able to ship it off, have it repaired and shipped back? Seems impossible considering it would have been received Saturday some time, so how would they have fixed it and we're able to deliver it back? They don't occasionally fix them in house do they? I was pretty sure he said something about "send it to the repair facility".

15. ImTheOne thread starter macrumors member

Well, after standing there for 45 minutes I have finally gotten my computer back and apparently the logic board and the audio cable being replaced solved the issue. Brought it back home and everything is working great.