No Sound, Audio completely Down, what to do next?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rijiMacDij, Aug 3, 2007.

1. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

Howdy Folks,

Week 4 of MBP SR ownership delivers issue #4! After the Yellow/Mauve blotchy screen, random kernel panics, and font issues I now have no audio.

Now before you say that I've probably *ucked ($* = M) up my sound preferences, this is my 6th or 7th OS X Mac and I'm a music teacher so I'm well aware of the settings in there.

No, this is new to me, Sound Preferences indicate that no input or output devices can be found, and in the Sound Effects dialogue panel, the alert sounds are all greyed out. As expected all volume sliders are also greyed out. My gut feeling is dead sound card?

I have the 'show volume in menu bar' option checked, the 'mute' option is checked but greyed out. Incidentally, on restart, which has been tried to death, the menu-bar volume icon disappears.

I've run the extended Apple Hardware Test to no avail. I have verified and corrected permissions and am at the stage of contemplating .....suici... arhhm......a re-install. This is not desirable as it's taken me over 3 weeks to get my (100+) applications installed and running correctly. Note machine was running OK till I installed Illustrator CS 3, which I have since uninstalled using the Adobe uninstaller.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you tried creating a new user account and seeing if you have sound in that account? If you do, its a software problem, if you don't, its a hardware problem.

3. S2NINJA macrumors member

S2NINJA

I had the exact same thing happen. Dead soundboard... I had to take it to the apple store, they took it in, and replaced it. took approx 7 days.

Good luck!

4. rijiMacDij thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like it's goin back to Apple

Created new account, nothing doing there! Looks like it's a re-instal just incase, then a trip back to the store!

Did hey give you a new unit or fix the old one? This has been a problematic machine, I wouldn't mind taking a punt that another machine is likely to be better.

Thanks for your help guys, Excuse me wile I go and slit my throat:(

5. rijiMacDij thread starter macrumors regular

Last minute advice

Just trying to see if any last minute advice can save me from a complete re-install to see if this is a software or hardware issue. I feel that it is hardware, but..............?

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I reckon just back up your data, so if you get a replacement machine, you can just transfer the data across. If it is something in the system, you can re-install it then, rather than re-installing twice (once on the current machine, again on the next)

7. rijiMacDij thread starter macrumors regular

As soon as we hit 4 million posts I'm re-installing!

8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

damn i didnt realise how close we were!

edit: 4,000,003 :D

9. S2NINJA macrumors member

S2NINJA

I had to repair mine b/c i got it CTO from apple.ca. But if you bought it stock, then i bet you can ask for a replacement.

Don't feel too bad though, my sound died the 2nd day after my mbp arrived... :mad: These things happen...

Good luck!

10. rijiMacDij thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to All, will advise outcome

Well a fresh install on a zeroed drive later and still no audio.

It appears S2NINJA was on the money! Hopefully I will get a new machine, this one has cost me so much in lost time over the last month, I am so far behind in my studies and work I couldn't handle any more crap.

I will return to report on my Apple support experience when I have news.

Thanks All.

11. rijiMacDij thread starter macrumors regular

Whew! My report as promised!

Sorry it took so long to inform of the outcome, but I got a few months in the slammer for smashing my MBP over the genius bar dudes head! (only joking!)

It was a munted sound card, took about 12 days turnaround, and has been a great machine since.

All my previous Adobe CS3 nightmares are no longer, I think they may have fixed a few other things that got munted in there by the nice assembly line people in China. CS3 installed like a fream and I've had no problems with the updaters either.

I think Safari is snappier too, now.