No Sound Click When Pressing Volume

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ipodlover77, May 6, 2009.

1. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Hey guys, out of the blue something weird started happening. When i would press the up and down volume keys on the keyboard, no sound is coming out. When i raise or lower the volume from the top status bar, that little click is audible, but when i press the up and down keys from the keyboard, no sound comes out. is this a hardware problem? will apple replace/fix this? could i have muted it or something or is this like i said, a hardware problem?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you looked into System Preferences > Sound > Play Sound when changing volume ?

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Wow, didn't even know this existed. Thank you.

4. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

You can also hold shift when changing the volume to play the sound when the option is off.

5. magamo macrumors 6502

I was experiencing the exact same thing when I opened this thread. I didn't touch System Preference or anything like that. It just happened out of the blue and my MBP didn't play the sound when I pushed F11/F12. It seems restarting the machine fixed it, but I'm wondering what the cause was. The only thing I did that is remotely related to the volume was plugging and unplugging my headphones a few times before I noticed it.

Thanks. I didn't know that. My problem doesn't seem to have anything to do with the option, but it sure is a useful tip.

EDIT: I tried Shift+volume when the option is ON, and it didn't play feedback. This is really useful. Thank you!

6. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

yup, still no go :(

7. Apple all life macrumors 6502

Do your speakers work like youtube or something? And what happens when you hold down shift and press F12?