Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac.Virgin101

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I must apologize ahead of time if this is in the wrong area. I’m not quite sure where it best fits.

We just bought a new Sony Bravia TV on the weekend and I would like to hook my MPB up to it. I don’t know what it is I’m doing wrong but I can’t seem to make it work.

With the last TV, my older MBP wasn’t able to push sound through the HDMI cable so I needed a second cable for sound (RCA?). It plugged into the computer's headphone jack and the red/white jacks at the back of my TV. It always worked perfectly.

That setup doesn’t seem to work on this new TV. The picture comes through (via HDMI) but no sound (via HDMI or RCA cables).

I am pulling my hair out and can’t figure it out. All the videos and articles I have tried to read make mention of your TV appearing as an HDMI output source in the audio settings on your computer. This doesn’t happen on my computer and the RCA cables don’t seem to work either.

Can anyone help??

For what its worth my MBP specs are in my signature.

TheKnifeFight

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2008
Socal
I must apologize ahead of time if this is in the wrong area. I’m not quite sure where it best fits.

We just bought a new Sony Bravia TV on the weekend and I would like to hook my MPB up to it. I don’t know what it is I’m doing wrong but I can’t seem to make it work.

With the last TV, my older MBP wasn’t able to push sound through the HDMI cable so I needed a second cable for sound (RCA?). It plugged into the computer's headphone jack and the red/white jacks at the back of my TV. It always worked perfectly.

That setup doesn’t seem to work on this new TV. The picture comes through (via HDMI) but no sound (via HDMI or RCA cables).

I am pulling my hair out and can’t figure it out. All the videos and articles I have tried to read make mention of your TV appearing as an HDMI output source in the audio settings on your computer. This doesn’t happen on my computer and the RCA cables don’t seem to work either.

Can anyone help??

For what its worth my MBP specs are in my signature.

You'll need a new adapter that plugs into both your display port on the computer as well as the usb port on the computer.

Monoprice.com sells them. That's how I do it on my Sony Bravia using a MBP.

I think this is the one I have: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

Mac.Virgin101

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
You'll need a new adapter that plugs into both your display port on the computer as well as the usb port on the computer.

Monoprice.com sells them. That's how I do it on my Sony Bravia using a MBP.

I think this is the one I have: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

Yay! Thank you so much! I was hoping it was just a matter of replacing a cable or something.

I wonder if I might be able to find this in-store somewhere. Thanks for the link, I will order from there if I can't find it on the way home this evening!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.