No sound from external speaker. Replacement? (iPhone 4)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iDentist, Oct 18, 2010.

1. iDentist macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

I bought a used iPhone 4 from craigslist and it turned out that it doesn't have any sound from external (bottom) speaker. Earpiece and earphones are working.

I tried everything. Restore, reset, update, earphones maneuvering... I have read online that Apple replaced phones like this.

If you have advice on fixing, I am listening.

But, my question is this. Can I walk into the pple store and request a replacement even though I am not the original buyer. I have bought another iPhone 4 in a different state, for which I do have a receipt. Would that help somehow? Do you think if they would replace it for me? What do you suggest?

Thank you.

Or should I make it simpler:

If I am not the original buyer of the iPhone, can I still take it to the Apple repair, if the iPhone is eligible for repair?

2. nmg196 macrumors newbie

I know it's been a while, but I'll post anyway in case anyone else needs it.

There are detailed instructions on fixing this here (parts also required, but they're very cheap).

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iPhone-4-Speaker-Enclosure-Assembly/3149/1

Please note that the iPhone only has ONE speaker at the bottom right. Many people complain that their "left speaker" has failed. There is no left speaker - the left opening is the microphone. Hope this helps someone.

3. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

Just take it to the apple store, they will give you a refurbish one, make sure all JB is remove.

The iphone warranty stays with the iphone and you don't need a receipt or to be the original owner, technically you can find an iphone in the middle of the street and take it in for warranty service.

You can also check you warranty status by putting in you serial # at apple.com.