No Sound From iMac Internal Speakers??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ObiJuan2080, Aug 31, 2012.

1. ObiJuan2080 macrumors newbie

Here's what I've tried so far to fix this:

1. I saw on the boards that someone said that all they had to do was uncheck "Mute" in the Audio MIDI Setup. All Mutes were unchecked. No go there.

2. Restted my SMC...that's didn't work at all.

3. What seems to work is resetting PRAM/NVRAM...that is until the iMac goes to Sleep Mode. Once out, it goes back to what you see in the pic below. Restting PRAM/NVRAM all the time can't be good for the iMac...right?

4. And no there is no red light coming from any of the audio connectors in the back.

What's off the table:

Reinstalling Lion 10.7.4. I can't, no way, don't want to.

Is there any other way to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Here's some other suggestions I found on this thread (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3191413?start=45&tstart=0)

1) Fix permissions
    2) Plug-in headphones, let it switch over to them in the output menu, then unplug them
    3) Toggle the bluetooth off and on

Seems like a weird issue and many people that suggested those ideas said it was a permanent fix while others said it was only temporary.

3. ObiJuan2080 thread starter macrumors newbie

None of those things worked.

Just resetted my PRAM and this time it didn't work :(

4. killerrobot, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

A few other things to try:

1) Open Activity monitor and kill the "coreaudiod" and "coreserviced" - if it doesn't relaunch Finder, then hit ctrl+cmd+esc and relaunch Finder.

2) Some other people mentioned problems with the sound after installing CS5.5, LogMeIn, or Pro Tools. Try uninstalling those one at a time and seeing if that fixes it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3220787?start=0&tstart=0

Another idea is to open the Audio MIDI Setup app in the Utilities folder and click on the Configure Speakers and make sure they are set up for 0 in /2 out

Attached Files:

5. ObiJuan2080 thread starter macrumors newbie

Quitting "coreaudiod" is a great and faster workaround than resetting the PRAM/NVRAM all the time and THAT stopped working after the second reset. Thanks a lot, this helped.

But what does that mean? Is the service not starting up at start up? How do I go about fixing that?

6. ObiJuan2080 thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems that quitting "coreaudiod" permanently fixed my problem. Thank you.