No sound from macbook speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jam30, Sep 19, 2008.

1. jam30 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I have no sound coming from my macbook speakers, yet when I plug in external speakers I do get sound.

If I try to change the volume all I get is where the current volume should be (which doesn't change), and a no smoking sign without the cigarette (just like a British no parking sign).

On the sound system preferences menu the output is only showing the 'digital out - built in output,' but nothing to do with the built in speakers which I was sure was normally there.

Does anyone know how I can solve this so that my built in speakers work again?

James

2. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Seems a few people have had the same problem before.
    Check to see if there is a red glow coming from your headphone socket on your macbook.
    From what I can gather it sounds as if the macbook still thinks that there are headphones connected. Try rebooting, then possibly wiggling your headphone jack in the socket.

See this thread also

b.

3. jam30 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried it though and there is still no sound. Any other suggestions, I really don't fancy the hour and half train journey to the Apple store.