Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
This afternoon I was talking to a friend, telling him how good Garageband was and how Apple is the superior brand of computers. He wants to see a demonstration of Garageband. I plug in my Griffin iMic. Plug in my guitar and start Garageband.

When I play the instrument, no sound comes from the speakers. I go to system prefs---->sound, and check the audio input. Sure enough, the computer is recognizing the iMic, and when I pick the guitar you can see that the computer is hearing the guitar, but no noise comes from the speakers.

Puzzled, I open iTunes to see if a song will play. The song starts, but no music from the speakers.

Really dumbfounded and embaressed, I restart the computer. Upon restart, I get familiar start-up "bong" as I call it. But after restart, still no music.

So now I don't know what to do. I logged in as a different user and still no music.

Does anybody have any idea what I should try. This has happened to me once before. Not 30 minutes before I was listening to music from the machine. I will say, things worked before I plugged in the iMic. Although this may just be a coincidence!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Pretty sure, unless there's a mute button I don't know about. When I turn up the volume using the keyboard button, I don't get the familiar sound, but I can see the volume level rising with the white squares.

If I can hear the "bong" at start-up, doesn't it have to be a software problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.