No Sound HDMI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghsNick, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Ok, I just got this HDMI for my 2011 MBP.

I hooked it up and notice the computer was on the screen, but under Display (Arrangement) it wasn't Mirrored.

When I mirrored it the screen (dimensions) didn't look right on my Laptop or TV. So I unchecked Mirrored and set the TV screen (the one to the right) to 1080p on my LCD Laptop screen to 1440X900.

I kept line Input the same (Internal Mic - Built In) and changed Output to Samsung (my TV) but still no sound through my TV.

Can anyone help me get sound out of this TV?

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Might not be the correct adapter, not all of the MDP>HDMI adapters will do sound out of the HDMI.

3. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

preferences/sounds/output/ and select hdmi instead of internal speakers

4. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I have the same adapter and it works flawlessly.

Yup.

5. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Ok...I got everything to work. A couple questions though.

When mirroring and watching a movie...my computer cuts out and isn't as clear (but the TV is perfect).

And when I'm not mirroring and have the TV on fullscreen my Computer screen goes black (but I can still see the mouse).

Is that normal?

6. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

How come I don't have this option? I believe my mbp is either late 08 or early 09

7. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

It was first in the iMacs in late 2009, and the rest of the Macs got it in mid to late 2010.

8. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I have my hdmi to my pioneer receiver so how do i connect an audio cable to my receiver and have sound function when I am on that hdmi input?

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I would set up the tv as a 2nd monitor...it's easiest that way imho. also, if you hold down the "option" key and click on the volume button on the menu bar, it'll allow you to choose internal speakers or your tv speakers. it's a faster way than going to sys pref etc.

10. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Apparently my MBP doesn't output sound thru the mini display port though. When I go to output, my only option is internal speakers...

11. Sieben macrumors newbie

Do you have the mini display adaptor connected ? i don't have this option either, but i think it will only appear when the adaptor is connected.