No Sound - HELP (With Photos)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HelixOmnimedia, Jan 22, 2008.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Hi,

I wiped my PowerBook at the weekend - as I had planned on selling it but Apple didn't introduce updated/new MacBook Pros... anyway...

I have no sound... until I restart the machine.

It was fine all day yesterday and today until I went to town (shut it down) but I just noticed that there was no sound when I went to play music in iTunes.

Its really really annoying and I need some help to resolve the problem.

I press the volume button to get this:

[​IMG]

So I check System Preferences and this is what appears in the sound Output and Sound Effect:

Output
    [​IMG]

Sound Effects
    [​IMG]

What has happened?
    How can I fix this?

THANKS for any help, much appreciated.

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I sometimes am left without sounds if I plug something into the headphone jack and then remove it, usually plugging it back in a few times resolves the issue for me. Did you have something in the headphone jack ?

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Have you installed any screen/audio recording applications as I had a similar problem after I installed iShowU.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

No there was nothing in the headphone jack, I heard that this was a problem for some, but there wasn't anything in when I started the computer later today.

No I haven't installed any new screen or audio recording applications... (does iLife 06 count? or the latest iTunes update?)

Yeah its really really annoying... hopefully 10.5.2 will fix this (if its know by Apple)

Had to restart my machine in the end - just wanted to listen to some tunes.

6. C.ams macrumors newbie

Have same problem with input. Put mackbook to sleep last night and woke up this morning to find sound wont work and that image you showed at the top with the green backround is what appears on my screen too. When i plug output in its fine, but input wont work.
    Havnt tried restarting yet, but, anyone know why this might be? seems like sound is blocked for some reason.

Thanks for any help :)

7. C.ams macrumors newbie

restarted, same problem still. Funny thing is that i heard the startup sound when i rebooted from my input, so at leat i know there isnt something wrong with my speakers.

8. C.ams macrumors newbie

There is also a red light coming out of my headphone port... which i dont recall it being there before.
    Please help.

9. hulkout80 macrumors newbie

Pretty Easy Fix

All I did was change my input and out put settings. That can be done just by going into your system preferences and clicking on the sound icon. Once the window is in front of you go through each tab and make sure that your sound is set to the right input/output. For example, I have my speakers connected through the headphone jack so my setting is as follows: {Sound effects (line out)} {Output (Line Out)} {Input (Line In)}
    If your real fancy and have a digital connection to an actual system go through each tab and set it all to digital.
    Everything works fine now for me. Hope it goes the same for you.