No sound in some songs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zaiest, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Zaiest, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

Zaiest macrumors newbie

I used MP3Gain Express to level the sound level of all my songs to 87 dB. Then later I find out that almost half of my songs don't have sound! The progress bar moves but there's just no sound output. Sometimes for some songs which were like this, when I scrubbed the progress bar, there would be some sound for a second or two in some parts of the song but it would be garbled. Other songs play just fine. After syncing to my iPods, the same problem is seen in the iDevices. There's just no sound! I scanned the system for any viruses using iAntivirus but there weren't any.
    How do I restore the sound? Thanks!

Using 10.8.3 OS X and iTunes 11.0.2

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like the app may have reduced or damaged the audio in the song files. If that's the case, syncing to iDevices would naturally cause the issue to appear there, as well.

Your issue has nothing to do with malware and I don't recommend iAntiVirus. iAntiVirus has a bogus malware definitions list, making their detection accuracy untrustworthy. They also make inaccurate claims about the existence of Mac malware, in order to hype the need for their product. This post will give details.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below).

3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

3. Zaiest thread starter macrumors newbie

So could you suggest something to restore the sound? Thanks.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Hopefully, you created a backup before modifying your files, as is always recommended. You can restore from that. Otherwise, you'll likely have to re-rip or re-download the songs.

5. Zaiest thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd tested some songs after leveling them. Unfortunately those were the unaffected ones. Found it perfect and updated my backup drive with it. So the backup method is out of question :(. Is there any software which restores the audio? I have a large collection and re ripping would be a pain.