No sound in vista and olny half ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shaggy6734, Apr 8, 2011.

1. shaggy6734 macrumors newbie

So i have a macbook pro and used bootcamp and installed vista home premium on a partition. Then I used the OS disc that came with my mac to install all the drivers for windows. There is a start up sound and that is all. It does not give me an option to adjust the sound when i click on the volume icon either. Not to sure what to do. I even have tried to reinstall all the drivers and still no change. I have updated vista also.

Also it only shows a little over 2gb of ram and I have 4 on it. Anyone know why for either of these?

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

The sound looks like a driver issue.
    For the RAM issue, what type of Vista are you using, 64 or 32bit?

3. RockPortTech macrumors regular

A 32 bit SHOULD recognize 4gigs since that is the limit it can address, so he should be seeing all 4gigs. But I concur, could be a driver issue and Vista does not like to play nice at all.

4. xdbuix macrumors 6502

from what i've been reading with the new mbp and bootcamp. Vista is no longer supported by Apple. Windows 7 is the only windows they support apparently. Don't quote me though. However i was going through the same thing, but also with networking problems

5. shaggy6734 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using the 32 bit os. And I was poking around and tried to update the driver and t did not work as it was up to date. So I rolled it back a version and it works now as far as room goes it is showing 2230 mb's of ram in the properties so not to sure on that one.

6. shaggy6734 thread starter macrumors newbie

take it back

sound does not work and now there is a red light shinig out of headphone jack lol....

7. DemSpursBro macrumors newbie

Vista. Don't use Vista. Ever. Windows XP is better than Vista. Also, you need a 64bit OS to have it use your 4GB of RAM.

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Honestly, it is probably Vista. That OS has some of the most bizarre problems. I've seen it do errors that I didn't know computers could make resulting in even weirder outcomes.

9. shaggy6734 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would

I would totally use xp if I had it around but my other half had vista so thats what got put on the partition. I spose I can game without sound really not the end of the world. lol

10. DemSpursBro macrumors newbie

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I've heard Microsoft will let you downgrade your Vista for XP.

11. shaggy6734 thread starter macrumors newbie

xp

Unfortunately I do not have an xp disc to downgrade to. I got it to serve the purpose that I need it to.

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

No drivers for windows xp are available for the newer macs, he's stuck with 7 if he wants to have his hardware fully supported.

13. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

14. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Vista is just an atrocious OS. If you can try to get Windows 7.

15. Shaneuk macrumors regular

Shaneuk

Wait. Let me get this straight you have a macbook pro and you install vista? Are you sure you've got your sanity chip fully screwed in?