No sound input or output devices found

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trada17, Jun 5, 2018.

1. trada17 macrumors newbie

I had my laptop plugged in via a jack to a large speaker, when I plugged the speaker in to the wall (via and extension plug) everything immediately cut out, the speaker powered off and the macbook turned off and immediately restarted. Now I have no sound on my macbook and when I open up sound preferences there isn't a output or an input visible. I tried resetting PRAM and SMC but nothing's worked I assume the electrical surge has caused some hardware damage, does anyone have an idea what exactly it may have done? Could I just replace the soundcard and hope for the best? At the moment I'm using a very cheap external usb sound card which is working without issue but is of a very poor quality and is not a permanent solution.

2. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

3. trada17 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. jerryk macrumors 601

5. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

If you think that replacing the sound board is beyond your capabilities, take it to the Apple store or authorized repair shop for an estimate.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

You could also use your current speaker with a Bluetooth receiver.

7. kohlson macrumors 68000

In a 2013 MBA with similar symptoms, this was a failed I/O board. In talking with the Apple Store, it seems every model/year is different. In our case, it was just $150 or so to replace. If possible take it to Apple and have them diagnose and estimate.