No sound not the usual problems mac pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nracing, Mar 31, 2015.

1. nracing macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2015
    hey guys, i just got a macbook pro. it came with no OS so i installed Yosemite version 10.10.2.

the thing is the macbook has not sound at all. no output device, i use the search tool here to look for something similar but i came with nothing, I've seen some solutions like erase some files, clear memory, etc but i don't hace the files that are mentioned and I've erase the memory a lot of times, i wonder if its maybe a physical problem with the audio card or something because nothing make sense anymore.

here is a shot of what my audio settings looks like, no output device, sound lock.

let me know what you think

thank you! :)
  2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    Have you tried restarting?

And have you made sure the 3.5mm port is free of dust?
  3. duervo macrumors 68000

Feb 5, 2011
    For lack of better data to go with, I will just go with what we have ...

There is no "audio card" in the system, at least not in the traditional sense. It's a chip on the logic board. My suspicion is that your "new" system has been the victim of a drop, or a liquid spill. That's the most common cause of hardware issues encountered in used systems that are sold to unsuspecting buyers.

Most likely will need a new logic board. Cost can be up to ~$1000 USD (easily) for the part alone, depending on the model.
  4. nracing thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2015

yes, good guess, the system suffered a drop on the audio jack part, but the funny thing is that the previous owner who was a friend had no issues with audio, when he sold me the mac (at an incredible price) he deleted the OS so i asked a guy to install the latest OS, so im also wondering if it could be an OS problem besides the obvious drop problem. if i take out the bottom part where the battery is everything seems to be ok visually.