Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
iOS 13.3.1. Purchased an AW 5 yesterday and after the watch IOS was updated on my phone, paired the watch. Easy peasy.

Since then I've noticed my phone is not giving me sound notifications when mail or messages arrive. My watch pings when a message is received, but the phone is silent. Just sent my Apple mail a test mail from another account and it made no sound when the message arrived. Also sent an email from my phone and the usually present "swoosh" as the mail is being sent was silent.

Have checked all settings and sound notifications are enabled. Have rebooted the phone with zip results. At least it rings when a call comes in but silent as to messages and mail.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
After much experimenting, I discovered bluetooth is the culprit. When turned off (disconnecting my watch), sound message and mail notifications work on my phone.

Am inclined to think this is a bug as my AW gives no email notifications. Will see if I can get a response from Apple.

Update: Found info on the Apple site stating that's the way bluetooth works when an AW is paired. Notifications go to the watch, not the phone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.