Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Hi guys.
So, I imported videos from my camera into iMovie today to make a DVD of our latest vacation. The movies play fine in quicktime. My speakers work. My headphones work. My iTunes plays fine and I can hear the regular system sounds, such as that ping, or emptying of the trash. But when I import the movies into iMovie, they lose their audio. I am using the default iMovie settings and never had this proble before. I've used iMovie on my MacBook before and this was not a problem.

Any ideas at all? Input would be fantastic. Thanks!
-Caitlyn :)

EDIT: Also, volume is definitely on in iMovie and on my computer. Still an issue. :(

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
How are you getting them from your camera into iMovie in the first place? Is this a real video camera with a firewire connection that is importing through iMovie? I'm guessing it isn't, because then how would there be sound in QuickTime.

Or is this like a still camera that also happens to take short movies which you have imported into iPhoto. Because those sometimes have problems, as many still camera makers use formats incompatible with iMovie which require conversion.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
The videos are in MPG format and taken with my Cybershot P200. I have done this before and never had a problem. It's just suddenly today. I imported them into iPhoto and then dragged them to the deskop and then dragged the desktop files to iMovie for importing.

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
Sounds familiar

Select the file and get info for it
under more info does it say mutex or something similar (going off memory here)?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Caitlyn said:
It's MPEG1 Mutex.
It's muxed, not mutex.

In any case, you'll need to de-mux the file prior to importing. In the past, you would use a de-muxing program (such as BBDemux or MoreMissingTools), then you would need to convert the audio to AIFF using iTunes, and then use Quicktime Pro to recombine the file.

After you did all that, you could drag the new file into iMovie for converting to DV.

Nowadays, there are several programs that will do the whole conversion for you and keep the audio intact. Cinematize and MPEGStreamclip come to mind.

Good Luck.

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
Thats the reason then,
Mpeg1 Mutex files (commonly used in digi cameras where vid is secondary) unfortunaltley do not seperate audio and video streams. they create a single 'mashed' together video file and imovie cant handle this.

Thats the bad news, the good news is there are programs which can,

The software available at http://www.squared5.com/ should do the trick, convert it to dv then import it into imovie.

If you run into trouble try google for "no sound importing in imovie" you should find something about it.

C

Ed

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
ftaok said:
It's muxed, not mutex.

In any case, you'll need to de-mux the file prior to importing. In the past, you would use a de-muxing program (such as BBDemux or MoreMissingTools), then you would need to convert the audio to AIFF using iTunes, and then use Quicktime Pro to recombine the file.

After you did all that, you could drag the new file into iMovie for converting to DV.

Nowadays, there are several programs that will do the whole conversion for you and keep the audio intact. Cinematize and MPEGStreamclip come to mind.

Good Luck.

awwww you beat me to it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.