No Sound on iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bowlman23, Oct 21, 2013.

1. bowlman23 macrumors regular

I've done research on this problem and was hoping someone had something to suggest that I haven't seen.

My iPad sound all of a sudden won't work. When I try to adjust the volume, a gray 'Sound Effects' icon comes up, but doesn't adjust volume. I tried a hard reset, power on/off, even the mute switch which I knew wasn't the problem. From what I read on the Apple forum, it seems to be something hardware related with the dock connector. Apparently, metal debris gets in there. I tried to look at it but don't see any debris in there. I tried also switching the charging cable.

Any other ideas I could try? Apparently, it costs $299 to have Apple repair it since it's out of warranty. At that price, I mind as well buy a new one, but I'd prefer to hang on to this one.

Thanks!

Mitch

2. Mikes2pads macrumors regular

I agree. I had a replacement issued to me early into ipad3 when the headphones jack opening caused similar issues. I had just brought it home though so I went back without issue. Frustrating though. I don't know if a small magnet might dislodge a possible burr in there or a good shot(s) of canned air.
    Good luck though. You'll be happy it happened if you find yourself with ipadair in hand.