Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allywood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2010
My sound stopped working this morning. No sound from the ringer, any video or apps and IPod. Headphones work fine and I can hear phone calls but no sounds at all from the phone.

New 3G, never dropped or wet, not a ton of apps and nothing new added that might have changed anything. I've tried all the reset/reboot, cleaning the headphone jack, etc. Nothing, seems like a software issue and I'm willing to try whatever since my warranty is up.

Help would be very appreciated!

Thanks.

brucem91

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2009
you might have a hardware glitch, where the phone things that headphones are plugged in when they really aren't. You will know if you press the volume rockers, and see the volume change and (headphones) listed underneath. If so, I think dust in the headphone jack causes it. Unfortunately for you, it was the Apple Store that fixed it for me(new phone), and you are out of warranty. I think you can blow some air into the phone, but I am not entirely sure.

allywood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2010
I did the headphone thing and checked the audio, unfortunately that's not the problem. First time this has happened so I'm a little frustrated with it. Thanks.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
I did the headphone thing and checked the audio, unfortunately that's not the problem. First time this has happened so I'm a little frustrated with it. Thanks.

If it's not software and no water damage, then I'd suggest you make a Genius Bar appointment and bring it in for check up. I had a no sound issue before and they just swapped phones without question at all!

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
If it's not software and no water damage, then I'd suggest you make a Genius Bar appointment and bring it in for check up. I had a no sound issue before and they just swapped phones without question at all!

Go to the genius bar (if you have one nearby). It doesn't cost anything and they might fix it for nothing.

Obvious question: did you restart your phone yet?

The answer is yes. In the list of things already tried.

allywood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2010
trying to avoid a trip to the store. I have tried several times to reboot and restore, restart, re everything... Nothing. How would I reinstall 3.1.3? Haven't tried that yet.

rkswat

macrumors regular
May 11, 2010
trying to avoid a trip to the store. I have tried several times to reboot and restore, restart, re everything... Nothing. How would I reinstall 3.1.3? Haven't tried that yet.

plug your phone into iTunes and click on restore.

allywood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2010
Well that worked...

Just went to the Genius Bar and after trying a few things they gave me a new one no problem.

Cool. Thanks for all the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.