No Sound on Powerbook G4? Help.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JesterJJZ, Oct 21, 2008.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

A friend of mine is having trouble with her 13" Powerbook G4 running Leopard. When you click the volume and mute buttons the volume overlay appears and all the bars are off and there is a "cancel" (circle with a slash) icon under it. In the sound preferences there doesn't appear to be any options under "output" It's empty.

Any takers? I've never seen anything like this before.

It's like the computer thinks there's no sound card on it.

I haven't tried repairing permissions yet, I'll tell her to try that tomorrow.

Thanks!

2. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Well...repairing permissions didn't seem to work. :confused:

3. ghettochild macrumors regular

4. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I'm assuming its a 12" PowerBook and not the bigger 15" brother or MacBooks.

Any way try resetting the NVRAM and PRAM on the system and see if that helps any.

1. Shut down the computer
    2: Press the power button and hold the following key combination:
    Command + Option + P + R
    3. Hold the buttons until you hear the "bong" (if the audio issue is hardware you may not hear it).

If the internal speakers still are not listed in the sound preferences then your friend may need to reinstall OS X.

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I had this problem on my G4 Powerbook after the Leopard upgrade. A simple restart fixed the issue. Make sure all upgrades are installed, whether you're running Leopard or not.

6. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Yeah it's a tiny Powerbook, must be the 12"

Rebooting does nothing. Any idea why this would happen? Reinstalling the OS is not something she'll want to hear.

Thanks!

7. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Try opening GarageBand and see if it does anything. When GarageBand is opened, it resets CoreAudio on the computer.

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Now, there's something I didn't know!

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

What are the Audio setting ins the sound control panel set to? Maybe this would help.

10. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Nothing...there aren't any devices listed...no speakers, lineout, headphone, etc...nada...it's blank.