no sound on second user account

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sundi712, Apr 9, 2011.

1. sundi712 macrumors newbie

Hi I am having what I think is an issue with the audio on my MacBook Pro. I am unable to get audio output from two logged in users at the same time (only one can be logged in). If I login to a second account and try to play video/audio file, I do not get any sound. To get the sound to work for the second account I have to-- logout of the first account; close out the media application on the second account and reopen it and the sound then plays.

I am somewhat familiar with MACs but not everything, as I just got my Mac a few weeks ago. Does anyone know if this is normal behavior for the audio? Is the design actually for one account to have control of the audio device at a time?

Thanks

2. lambertt macrumors newbie

sound should switch to user logged in

sundi712, this is not normal behavior. If you haven't done so, call Apple support and see if they can help you. I have two accounts (administrator accounts) used by my wife and I, and whichever account is active has control of the audio. I came upon your thread only because I had an issue today where the audio didn't transfer to my account when I switched to it. I switched back to my wife's account and it turned out that Safari was not responding and appeared to be stopping OSX from switching the audio to my user as it normally does. I forced quit Safari and switched back to my account and everything was back to normal. My guess is something on your running may be "hogging" the audio. That, or maybe it only works for admins? I haven't tried switching between an admin and a non-admin user, so something to keep in mind.

Good luck.