No Sound on Youtube with Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gfish, Nov 15, 2011.

1. gfish macrumors newbie

I'm still using Tiger (10.4.11) and Youtube vidoes no longer have sound -- there's an "x" where the volume is on Youtube (see attached jpg). I can't upgrade Flash until I upgrade the OS. I'm using Firefox 3.0.15 and Safari 4.1.3 and Flash 10.3.183.10. I have a 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MBP with 3GB DDR2 SDRAM.

Any ideas on how to fix this without upgrading the OS? I've been searching, and haven't found any solutions.

Attached Files:

• rush.jpg
      rush.jpg
      File size:
      124.3 KB
      Views:
  2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

3. gfish thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in the middle of some projects right now, and don't want to risk having my other software not working. I'll probably have to upgrade sooner or later.

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Well the 'X' over the volume button means it has been muted, have you tried just clicking the button to unmute it?

5. gfish thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! It was muted. I tried clicking it but it didn't do anything. It turns out the volume was all the way down in the Youtube window, so clicking it did not do anything, the "Unmute" tooltip did not appear, and the slider didn't look like a slider to me since it was all the way down. After dragging the slider up, then you can click the speaker icon to mute/unmute, and see the tooltips.

One of those '"duh" moments -- thanks again. I'll blame it on one of the kids, or the wife, for sliding the volume all the way down :D

6. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Glad I could help! I like to blame others too. Usually the cat, the girlfriend can be violent. :D