No Sound Through Earphones

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by eveccker, Apr 11, 2008.

1. eveccker macrumors newbie

Well last night I upgraded my Touch to 1.1.4, and today at school while I was listening to music, it just randomly paused. So I figured I had hit it, so I pushed play and only a second or so later it paused again. So when I got home I tried playing it again, and instead of playing for a second then pausing, it just wouldn't play any sound, even through videos and the internet. So I restarted it, and reset it, and still no progress, so I factory restored it a couple times, and still it didn't fix it. So figuring it was 1.1.4, I downgraded to 1.1.3, which still didn't fix it, so just being curious, I plugged it into my JBL player (One of these), and for some reason the sound worked perfectly through its speakers.

So as of right now, I'm almost sure it's the headphone jack that's messed up, or somehow lost connectivity, because connecting the ipod via the bottom input to my JBL player will play sound (music, videos, internet), but it won't play any sound what-so-ever though the earphones (as I've tried multiple headphones that work fine on my other ipod)

If anyone has heard of this before, or can help in any way, please reply as it'd be much appreciated (and plus I don't want to resort to spending $30+ to ship it to apple to tell me my warranty doesn't cover it, if that's the case)

Thanks,
    Evan

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you have to ship it to them, they'll pay for it's shipping both ways. It sounds like a hardware problem so you'll probably have to ship it off to be replaced or fixed.

3. eveccker thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, because I went through their online servicing checkout thing, and at the end it said I had to pay ~$30. Weird, well I guess I'll probably do that, or just drive to the apple store an hour away and talk to someone at their Genius Bar.

4. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I have a similar problem but mine will only play out of the right hand earphone. To get it to play in stereo I have to push the headphone jack up into the socket which means that if it's just in my pocket then it's one headphone only :(
    I thought it may be just some dust but having thoroughly sprayed it with compressed air and cleaned the socket out with a earbud, I fear it's hardware :/
    Any advice would be wonderful.

And oh, it's not just the headphones, I've tried it with 3 pairs as well as 2 pairs of speakers