No Sound through Earpiece

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by snkTab, Aug 30, 2007.

1. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

I have a Colorware iPhone worked fine but now there is no sound through the built-in earpiece (not the headphone jack, not the speaker.) When making/receiving a call the speaker works, the headphones work, and the built-in microphone work, but no sound will come out of the built-in earpiece.

Things I have tried
    1) Repeatedly plugged/unplugged the headphones
    2) Re-seated the SIM
    3) Restarted iPhone
    4) Reset all settings in setting menu
    5) Reset settings (by holding down both buttons)
    6) Re-synch + update 1.02
    7) Restored factory settings

So, my conclusion is that it is not a software failure, but a hardware one. So I have two questions.

1) Has this happened to anyone else? and
    2) What do I do now?

2. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

gotta send it in

first off, what is a colorware iPhone?

second, the same thing happened to me... called Apple support and they went thru the updates and restore with me but I knew it was a hardware problem. I sent mine in to be fixed, from the time I sent it out to the time i got it back was about 50 hours. because it was a hardware problem they were going to send me a free loaner, but I had another phone to hold me over.

3. ikon macrumors newbie

same problem

So this week, my iPhone earpiece stopped working. I can make and receive calls just fine, except no sound comes out the earpiece. Users on the other end of the call can NOT hear me either. I can answer calls or make calls with the speakerphone or the bluetooth headset and they both work as they should. I reset the phone using both buttons to shut off, etc. Seems to me like the earpiece/mic hardware just died... or something is keeping the phone software from entering the correct mode (speakerphone, headset, normal phone).

:-/

-ikon

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

I guess for 2), your choices are to call 1-800-MY-IPHONE or to make a Genuis Bar appt (if you have a local Apple store).

Both times I've had to have service on my iPhone, I ended up with a different iPhone. I'm curious to see how they handle the Colorware.

5. Idioteque macrumors member

samething happened to me this week. my problem was the phone still thought there was headphones attached, so i stuck the headphone jack in all the way and took it out a few times. haven't had a problem since. maybe try repeating this step..?

6. blybug macrumors 6502a

blybug

Exact same problem happened to my iPhone, my diagnosis was the same...the iPhone "thought" the headphones were still in. Phone calls worked with headphones or speakerphone, but not holding the phone up to my head like a normal phone. Ringtones worked through the external speaker, but iPod music playing did not...headphones with iPod OK.

I found discussion of this elsewhere and tried the headphone plugging-unplugging to no avail, including various permutations of plugging-unplugging with the iPhone powered on and/or off. Also reformatted the whole iPhone, same problem. Took it to the Genius ;) got a loaner with my SIM card in it, and 4 days later (today), returned for my repaired iPhone. Turns out that "after complete diagnostic testing, it was a determined a replacement iPhone was necessary." So I got a brand new iPhone, with a reboot on my 90 day warranty.

You probably have the same hardware failure as I had, but I'm guessing will need to go through Colorware since they are handling your warranty, right? Apple certainly won't replace yours with a colored one! (What color do you have??)

7. PatMack macrumors member

Just wondering, when you get a "new" iPhone as a replacement from apple, do you get it in a new sealed retail box with eveything?

If so, thats impressive.

8. blybug macrumors 6502a

blybug

It came in a new box, a lower-profile box than the original retail purchase, because it does not have the dock, power cord, headphones, etc. Just the iPhone in a very flat but nice box with the same photo of the iPhone on the cover.

The only included "accessory" is a nicely wrapped Apple-approved paper clip with a nice diagram of how to utilize it to remove the SIM card. I wasn't really paying attention at the genius bar when I picked up my "repair." The genius took it out of the package, swapped the SIM card from the loaner, and tested out the phone for me. He handed me the phone and I started to walk off and he said "Don't forget your box" which I hadn't even noticed, and thought "Wow, how cool I get such a nice box for getting my phone repaired." So I don't know how "newly wrapped" it was, and didn't even realize it was a new phone altogether until I got home and couldn't get on my wifi because it had a different MAC address. Then I read the paperwork and saw where I had gotten a replacement.

[​IMG]

9. davidrousseau macrumors newbie

So this is a somewhat common occurrance

Same here.... this week, my iPhone earpiece stopped working. I can make and receive calls just fine, except no sound comes out the earpiece. Users on the other end of the call can NOT hear me either. I can answer calls or make calls with the speakerphone or the bluetooth headset and they both work as they should. I reset the phone using both buttons to shut off, etc. Seems to me like the earpiece/mic hardware just died... or something is keeping the phone software from entering the correct mode (speakerphone, headset, normal phone).

The Bluetooth channel works fine also, so I can use it in the car, I can hear ringtones through the speaker, and use the phone on sppeaker, but the iPod will not play through speakers... this looks alot like the software or hardware thinks the headphone are plugged in. Guess it's a trip to the Apple store for some geniuses. Might be a good time for that 100 dollar credit also:mad:

10. hunterdog macrumors newbie

It seems to be a software bug

My iPod (music) wasn't stopped, so when I went back in, I needed to Pause iPod. I did the headphone jack trick mentioned earlier, but I think the real problem was that iPod did not relinquish control of the audio b/c it thought it was still playing. So, yes, the phone thought the headphone jack was still inserted.

As a side note, I noticed this coincided with my use of Bluetooth. Not sure if switching between Car phone, Hand phone, and iPod confused it...

11. jvanlee1 macrumors member

Call Colorware. They warrant their stuff.

12. Scribble1412 macrumors newbie

http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/select_iPhone.aspx#Tab

There is a Service and Support tab with lots of fine print. I didnt read it all, so I'll leave that up to you :)

Seems cool and all, but I dont know if I could dish out the money for a Colorware... Anything. I guess sometimes you just gotta be different!

13. Videographer macrumors member

I just had this problem today and saw this post and started thinking something was going wrong with our phones. Then I realized that no music was playing through the speaker in iPod mode either. But the ringtones worked... I put it all together and messed with the headphone jack and fixed the problem. Came back here to report my findings thinking I was some effing genius only to find it's already been stumbled upon.

Moral of the story: beware the headphone jack problem. :apple:

14. jasonnorm macrumors regular

jasonnorm

Just wanted to not I had the same problem and inserting/removing the headphones several times "cleared" up the problem. Wonder if this is fixed in 1.1.1? Unless AppTap can work with 1.1.1. however, I will NEVER know ;)

15. martinmartin macrumors 6502

I also ran into this problem today. My phone has 1.1.1, and didnt have this problem before. It was plugged into the dock when i received a phone call and took it out - couldnt hear anyone on the other end, but could hear them if i put it on speakerphone.

did some searching and realized the headphone jack might be the culprit, so i inserted the head phones a few times and voila, sound was back. i guess my phone 'thought' the headphones were plugged in...

i hope this doesnt continue to happen...

16. martinmartin macrumors 6502

This happened again today.

The sound finally came back after putting in and taking out the headphones a bunch of times....

This would be a serious pain if it happened when I didnt have the headphones around.

17. random818 macrumors newbie

this problem happened today with my girlfriends iphone. What's the warranty, 90 days? Siince she's had it for about 8 months, what's her options? Apple will take care of it or SOL. I tried the same things as the OP

18. aristobrat macrumors G5

The hardware warranty is 1 year.

If you have a local Apple store, you can make a free appt (http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/) at their Genius Bar to have it checked. If not, you can call the 1-800 number and they'll arrange to fix it via FedEx/DHL.

19. jdogg2020 macrumors newbie

Use a paper clip to dig the lint out of the headphone jack, then work the headphones in and out until all the dirt and lint comes free. Miraculously, your iPhone will detect that the headphones have been removed and bingo sound comes back.

20. tyeung6 macrumors newbie

i have the same problem recently, i have open the iphone and tried other internal cable but problems still there, cant hear or speak with the build-in device.
    finally i use a plastic stick to clean the headphone jack, guess what a lot of dusty there. after cleaning up the dust, the build-in earset and mic back to working again.
    so anyone you have same problem, may be this is the solution you can try by yourself before sending back to iphone recall.