Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

No sound via HDMI?

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Well, you likely need to 'test' whether the issue is w/ the HDMI cable and/or w/ your MBP? A 25' cable is a 'long one' and could be the issue; also, in looking @ that cable on Amazon, there are a LOT of 1* reviews also suggesting that the cable could be the problem?

Not sure about the results in your System Preferences menu - did you have that choice when first used and are you getting video from the cable?

I would probably obtain a good quality 'short' HMDI cable and determine if that works w/ your laptop; and of course you could test the longer cable using another computer - probably of little help, but just trying to localize the problem. Good luck and let us know your solution! Dave :)

Comment

crizza0309

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
tried another hdmi cable and still no sound. Maybe its my mini dp adapter? could, be but it was working fine last week.

Comment

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
tried another hdmi cable and still no sound. Maybe its my mini dp adapter? could, be but it was working fine last week.

Well, I don't believe that you mentioned a 'Mini DP Adapter' in your initial post - might have helped? Was this the setup in your first use of the HDMI cable? If this is just a video adapter, then getting sound would be the issue - please more clearly describe your connections from the computer to your intended output device - I'm just confused about what you are trying to achieve? Thanks - :)

Comment

jmdMac

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Alaska
Well, I don't believe that you mentioned a 'Mini DP Adapter' in your initial post - might have helped? Was this the setup in your first use of the HDMI cable? If this is just a video adapter, then getting sound would be the issue - please more clearly describe your connections from the computer to your intended output device - I'm just confused about what you are trying to achieve? Thanks - :)

The Mid 2012 MBP does not come with an HDMI port, so he must use an adapter.

Comment

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Sorry - my misunderstanding - just bought a MBP in April w/ an HDMI port - assumed that one from just a year ago had the same port - thanks. :)

You bought a rMBP, he has a cMBP.

Comment

crizza0309

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008

i plug a Mini DP to my mbp and use an hdmi to my tv to my mini dp. I want the audio to come out of my television speakers. I started using my tv as a monitor last week and I was achieving the audio. I went to try it yesterday for the first time since it worked and now it has completely stopped giving me audio.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.