No sound via HDMI?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crizza0309, May 21, 2013.

1. crizza0309 macrumors regular

2. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Well, you likely need to 'test' whether the issue is w/ the HDMI cable and/or w/ your MBP? A 25' cable is a 'long one' and could be the issue; also, in looking @ that cable on Amazon, there are a LOT of 1* reviews also suggesting that the cable could be the problem?

Not sure about the results in your System Preferences menu - did you have that choice when first used and are you getting video from the cable?

I would probably obtain a good quality 'short' HMDI cable and determine if that works w/ your laptop; and of course you could test the longer cable using another computer - probably of little help, but just trying to localize the problem. Good luck and let us know your solution! Dave :)

3. crizza0309 thread starter macrumors regular

tried another hdmi cable and still no sound. Maybe its my mini dp adapter? could, be but it was working fine last week.

4. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Well, I don't believe that you mentioned a 'Mini DP Adapter' in your initial post - might have helped? Was this the setup in your first use of the HDMI cable? If this is just a video adapter, then getting sound would be the issue - please more clearly describe your connections from the computer to your intended output device - I'm just confused about what you are trying to achieve? Thanks - :)

5. jmdMac macrumors regular

The Mid 2012 MBP does not come with an HDMI port, so he must use an adapter.

6. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Sorry - my misunderstanding - just bought a MBP in April w/ an HDMI port - assumed that one from just a year ago had the same port - thanks. :)

7. B... macrumors 68000

B...

You bought a rMBP, he has a cMBP.

8. crizza0309 thread starter macrumors regular

i plug a Mini DP to my mbp and use an hdmi to my tv to my mini dp. I want the audio to come out of my television speakers. I started using my tv as a monitor last week and I was achieving the audio. I went to try it yesterday for the first time since it worked and now it has completely stopped giving me audio.