No sound with Microsoft Office Power Point

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by amianne, Mar 25, 2009.

1. amianne macrumors newbie

Hi
    I do not get any sound when I recieve an email with Power Point attachment, Slide show comes up ok but no sound. does anyone know how to fix it.:confused:

2. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Daft questions, but just to check.

Is it a PowerPoint file that definitely has sound in it? (I won't ask if you're speakers are turned on don't worry!)

Is it a PowerPoint file that has been created on a Windows version of PowerPoint and you are trying to open it on the Mac version?

If so I have same problem, doesn't always work either at all or as it should do. I have Perian and all the other wmv/wma addons for Mac and it still doesn't always work so I just put it down to Microsoft's incompatibility with their own software!

I usually do see the media files though next to the PowerPoint file, so I can just convert them and re-insert them if I'm really stuck and desperate for the sounds.

3. rafacq macrumors newbie

Hi. My dad has a MacBook Pro and has the same problem. MacBook Pro has sound from everything else except power point presentations coming via email.

Is there any way around this?

I dont have that problem on my G5 PowerMac.

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

What file format are the sounds in the PowerPoint file? What version of PowerPoint are you using on your Mac to listen to the file, and what version of PowerPoint was used to create it?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

5. mbryan822 macrumors newbie

really frustrated...

I got my mom to move from Windows to Mac by getting her a Mac Mini and so far everything has gone very smoothly, more or less. However, the one thing she keeps telling me is she cannot hear sound in the PPT/PPS files her friends and family email her. On Windows she obviously had no problem and could fire off PPT slideshows right out of gmail.

I've been researching this on and off for months and find many hits anytime I google this problem. It's obviously been around for years!! People in 2005, 2006 and 2007 were all taking about how it used to work in Keynote but no longer does, etc.

Why is this still broken in iWork '09? I also have MS Office 2004 for Mac and don't get any sound in that version of PowerPoint either.

What gives? Is there some 3rd party Mac software that will play these stupid files? Now that I got my mom up and running on a Mac and have gotten rid of her old Windows box, I really don't want to have to start over and move her back to Windows all because of PPT files not playing correctly on a Mac! She's like, "I thought everything just *works* on a Mac!".

It's 2009 for crying out loud! Why doesn't this work on a Mac? I know, I've read the dozens of other posts in dozens of other forums - about how MP3s are masquerading as WAV files, and all that... but if Windows can do it....

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir, and I also know there is no chance in hell that there's an answer out there. I'm just frustrated :-(

6. kramaric macrumors newbie

kramaric

Any news?

Using iWork 9.0.3 and am experiencing the same issue. No sound in a powerpoint show I've received in an email.

Have any of you found a solution?
    Or a way to alert apple of this issue?

I can't find a way of obtaining support from apple in Denmark.

mbryan822: I know what you mean. I have the exact same situation here. My mom invested in the very nice 24in iMac a couple of months ago on my recommendation. On my ditto she purchased iWork. I'm exceedingly disappointed that I can't even call a support desk in Denmark and log the issue.

7. kramaric macrumors newbie

kramaric

Found the problem

FYI

The ppt/pps with problems are the ones where the sound file is .wav
    For reasons beyond my understanding, Keynote does not support this basic sound format. Comon Apple, this format has been there ever since I remember. I even had a sampler on my freakin C64, which handled this format.

What gives?

Temporary solution was to install OpenOffice 3.1 on my mom's imac. We both remain clueless as to why we paid for the apple office suite, and then have to install an open source variant to handle ppt's with .wav sound files.

How is a macaficionado/fanboy to explain this to a mac-convert?