No Sound?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by matt71, May 28, 2011.

1. matt71 macrumors newbie

I have a 3.2 Ghz Intel Core i3 Imac and I bought a Mini Displayport to HDMI Adapter to connect my computer to my Panasonic Plasma TV. My desktop shows on my TV but sound only comes from the computer, not the TV.

Does anyone know what I have to do to get the sound to come from the TV?

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

if its the 2010 imac model, the mini display port does not carry sound support. you need to run an audio cable from the audio out on the imac to the audio in on the tv.

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Not true, it was the 2009 iMacs and MBPs which don't support audio over MDP.

4. nunes013, May 28, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011

nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i saw this on the apple website and assumed it meant no audio bc it says no hdmi.

Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately); 27-inch models also support input from external DisplayPort sources (adapters sold separately)

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP588

EDIT: and this shows that it carries audio http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...e-i3-3.2-27-inch-aluminum-mid-2010-specs.html

my bad. in that case do you have to select sound under system preferences (i dont know and just wondering bc i dont have an audio enabled mdp). if not that then try a different adaptor or hdmi cable. ill try to think of more things

5. matt71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

I called Apple and they said that if the adapter didn't work then I would have to buy another cable that supported audio. So, it looks like I'll have to bring back the adapter and buy the cable..

6. matt71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update. I have audio from my Imac to my HDTV now. I picked up a Belkin mini display port to HDMI connector at an Apple store and it worked fine.

You have to make sure to go into your sound settings and change the sound setting from your internal speakers to your TV.