No sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbpnewbie, Sep 6, 2009.

1. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

Hey all, I was watching a movie on the bus using my headphones earlier today, and whe I got home just now, the internal speakers aren't working. There is a red light coming from the headphone port.. and the volume can not be adjusted.. is there a software fix, or do I have to take this thing to the genius bar?
    ETA: I restarted the computer, still no dice...

ETA 2: never mind, I fixed it...

2. sharkync macrumors regular

How you fixed it might be nice to post so others may benefit.

3. creon macrumors 6502

A fix would be valued. Spread the knowledge my friend!

4. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

I get a red light from my headphone port when I'm in windows 7 does anyone know why?

5. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

The red light in the headphone/microphone port signifies that Digital in/output is being used, as opposed to analog.

The most common fix: Insert headphones into the port, then yank 'em out. Repeat until the light goes away. It's just something that's stuck inside. I have friends with MBP's that had this issue, I did too once.

6. mbpnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I did.. It only took once tho...

7. andrewsilk macrumors newbie

fix to internal speakers not working

Hi, I had the same issue and the port had a small red light coming out of it. It is stuck in digital audio mode, and likely just needs to be cleaned. I stuck a tooth pick in there gently and a tiny bit of lint came out. It instantly worked as soon as I plugged and unplugged my headphones. It now recognizes that nothing is plugged in and the internal speakers work again!