Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphony

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
After buying the expensive variants of the space gray keyboard and space gray trackpad for my space gray Mac mini, now the new Mac mini is only in silver?!

lame

And why did they remove 2 USB-C ports? I was using all of them...

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
After buying the expensive variants of the space gray keyboard and space gray trackpad for my space gray Mac mini, now the new Mac mini is only in silver?!

lame

Notice how all Macs introduced today have only two Thunderbolt ports?

This must be a limitation of the M1 SoC and should be resolved with the next batch that uses M1X or whatever.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
This must be a limitation of the M1 SoC and should be resolved with the next batch that uses M1X or whatever.
I think they're designing these chips to fit into certain "envelopes" (MacBook Air, in this case).

There will certainly be Apple Silicon SoCs with more ports though - question is though, if they get "passed down" to the Mac mini. I suppose that's not going to happen before the next generation in a year or so, if ever.

So sticking with your naming pattern, M1X might be used into iMac and MacBook Pro, M1Z for Mac Pro.
And there might be some hope for M2X on the next Mac mini.

;)

Reactions: kazmac and grandM

artwit

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020

lame

Yes I would use all 6 of them too. Lack of ports is even worse with laptops: MBP with only 2 ports?? So if you need to charge it and use a external display, that's it? Unless you buy a 16" one which has 4 ports but getting pretty bulky...
Apple is too focused on artsies and forgets about engineering applications..

Last edited:

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
They didn't remove 2 ports, they've always sold a lower-end 2 port varient of the 13" Pro. They just haven't released the 4 port one with more powerful internals, but you can still get the Intel version.

LancesUK

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2018
I also suspect they will be releasing something like a space grey mac mini pro next year, with 4 ports and support to 32GB+ RAM in the next generation M silicon. These new machines released yesterday are entry level stuff. Systems aimed at pros will start arriving next year. By then, most pro apps will be ready as well, so all fits nicely. It doesn't mean that these M1 macs can't be used by pros! I'm sure they are great already, but the next M will be certainly way more powerful than these.

ADGrant

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2018

lame

Maybe you should stick with what you have for a little while longer.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 601
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

lame

You're also forgetting the 16GB being the maximum RAM; down from 64GB...

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
I am betting that the M1 is limited as to I/O as those needs were not demanding on previous Apple A series SoC's. I am impressed that they managed to include a TB controller, but I am sure we will see much more I/O bandwidth when they get to the higher end machines.

I do find it interesting that they seem to go out of their way not to call out the TB port as 3 or 4, but do call out USB as USB4. Makes me think that they have access to the TB name from their co-developing it with Intel, but they may be straying from the exact standard.

symphony

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
You're also forgetting the 16GB being the maximum RAM; down from 64GB...
Hahahaha RAM is so expensive that I like to forget about it.

I came from a 8GB RAM 2018 Mac mini, I’m glad I shelled out an extra $250 for 16GB this time around. Hopefully Apple’s optimization uses less RAM

symphony

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
I am betting that the M1 is limited as to I/O as those needs were not demanding on previous Apple A series SoC's. I am impressed that they managed to include a TB controller, but I am sure we will see much more I/O bandwidth when they get to the higher end machines.

I do find it interesting that they seem to go out of their way not to call out the TB port as 3 or 4, but do call out USB as USB4. Makes me think that they have access to the TB name from their co-developing it with Intel, but they may be straying from the exact standard.
I would have preferred four USB C than two USB C and two USB A

Reactions: BayouTiger

Yebubbleman

macrumors 601
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hahahaha RAM is so expensive that I like to forget about it.

I came from a 8GB RAM 2018 Mac mini, I’m glad I shelled out an extra $250 for 16GB this time around. Hopefully Apple’s optimization uses less RAM
I wouldn't forget about it this time as, unlike with the 2018 mini, you can't upgrade it after the fact.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009

lame

Apple still sells 4 TB4/USB4 port Intel Mac minis. This tells me that the higher-end Mac mini up for a refresh by March 2021.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.