No Speakers

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Grizzly Adams, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Grizzly Adams macrumors member

A couple of days ago, while at the GF's house I had a Kernel panic (first & only so far) since I have had no speaker or volume control. It is just on perma-mute. Tried the hardware test and that showed no problems. Tried a re-install of OSX tonight, nothing still. Anyone else have a problem like this?

I really hate that I don't have an Apple store nearby or I would just take it in. I'm going to give Apple a call tomorrow.

This is what I get when I open the audio system preferences:

2. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

headphones

If you haven't already, I'd try plugging in headphones to see if they'll work. I'd also try unchecking, the rechecking "show volume in menu bar" because I assume that's what should be in between your Time machine icon and bluetooth. I know if you plug in a mini-toslink, you can't control volume through the computer anymore, but it puts it on permanent full volume. But maybe the little switch in the headphone jack got confused? I'm just shooting in the dark here, but that's what I'd do, and then call Apple like you said. Hopefully it's not a hardware problem, but you did a reinstall, so I'm afraid it might be.

3. Grizzly Adams thread starter macrumors member

Called Applecare this morning and they had me try to reset the PRAM, but that did nothing. I got an empty box coming my way now.

4. iowayank macrumors newbie

not just an Air problem?

same problem appeared with my Mini (1.6GHz C2D; 10.5.3) after installing QT 7.5 and ITunes 7.6.2.9 yesterday - screenshots look just the same (didn't have the kernel panic beforehand, though). Startup chimes work when rebooting.

I tried zapping the PRAM etc. but no joy. For the moment I'm using a Griffin USB audio dongle to get sound out, but it seems like this might be a software problem.

5. Grizzly Adams thread starter macrumors member

I can't even get the start up chime. Nothing at all as far as audio goes.

6. iowayank macrumors newbie

Hope your new MBA arrived and works!

I solved the "no speakers" problem with my mini by reinstalling the 10.5.3 update (downloaded from the Apple support site since Software Update knew it was installed already). After restart, the speakers were back (and a few other problems - one with TimeMachine - were fixed).

7. Grizzly Adams thread starter macrumors member

Got my MBA back. Applecare was very quick in repairing my laptop. DHL on the other hand was slow as hell in getting it back to me once they picked it up from Apple. Just so you have an idea, they picked it up early morning of the 28th, and it was supposed to be delivered to my house on the 30th. I just got it today, about 10-15minutes ago. Maybe i was freaking out about how long it took, but to me it took forever. Being with out my MBA for a week and a half sucked, especially when it only took apple a day to get it in and out.

The Service Details page reads

The following/or parts were used to service your product:

632-0604 FLEX ASSY, AUDIO, M82

No, idea what any of that means but my MBA is back and working and I am happy:D

8. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Basically the little metal latch door got replaced.