no sql knowledge... backed up site with Cyberduck?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by eclipse, Aug 16, 2009.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi all,
    I had a phpbb3 forum I was looking after at Brinkster.

Sadly, Brinkster does not seem to have Mysql or any "point and click" database backup system, and one has to type in sql commands which of course I know nothing about.

So.... I've just copied the WHOLE FORUM FOLDER to my desktop. (That's where the phpbb3 forum sat obviously).

My question is, even though that was an incredibly barbaric way to do it and a slow transfer rate etc and all that, will it have the forum database? Does the actual forum posts and content sit in the forum folder of the phpbb3 install?

Cheers.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If you used MySQL, then no, the database is not in what you downloaded. MySQL is its own application that sites on the server outside your web folder. You cannot directly download it from FTP.

Find out if your web host has phpMyAdmin installed (look at their FAQ or contact them), which allows access to your database and provides a way to output a backup. Otherwise, you'll need SSH access into the web sever to give the database some commands to output a backup. There's tutorials on how to do that if you do have access.

3. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

No phpmyadmin that I can see.

Control Panel only takes people straight to an sql commands window at Brinkster. No Fantastico, no lovely Phpmyadmin, none of that fancy stuff that I can see.

So phpbb3 doesn't store it's forum details in the forum folder? Ouch. I'm stuck then... unless there's a copy and paste sql command I can run to download it to my desktop.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

See article.

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Just download and install phpMyAdmin yourself - to get the kind of functionality you need just set it up with basic options, put it in your document root. It's open source and free, setup isn't tough at all.

google "download phpmyadmin"

-jim