Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
As of this posting there are no SpaceBlack SS watches for try on in many stores.
I was in 4 different stores in NYC including the flagship on 5th Avenue and even they didn't have it for try on.
Yes it is on display in a glass covered case that has florescent lighting which distorts the color of the watch and these watches CANNOT be tried on!
So for anybody making an appointment to see the Space
Black SS watch…………wait

Last edited:

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
You should do more research, lots of Apple Stores have them, there are many pictures people took at tryons with Space Black SS watches on their wrist. Just because none of your official appointments let you try one, doesn't mean no store in the country does.

applegeek97

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
California
As of this posting there are no SpaceBlack SS watches for try on in any stores.
I was in 4 different stores in NYC including the flagship on 5th Avenue and even they didn't have it for try on.
Yes it is on display in a glass covered case that has florescent lighting which distorts the color of the watch and these watches CANNOT be tried on!
Black SS watch…………wait

I wanted to buy that one so bad, but I did not like the $500 link band that you were forced to buy.

SixtyK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Nebraska
As of this posting there are no SpaceBlack SS watches for try on in any stores.
Black SS watch…………wait

That's so weird, I wonder what I tried on then...

Esexx

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Strange! I didn't know I couldn't try the black SS?

(Someone should tell the Apple Store in Manhattan Beach, CA there are no black SS to try on)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 254

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
As of this posting there are no SpaceBlack SS watches for try on in many stores.
Black SS watch…………wait

The San Francisco flagship on Stockton didn't have any. Nor did the Stanford store in Palo Alto. These are very large, high-profit stores. They had the Edition watches and no Black SS. If these stores and the 5th avenue store don't have it, I cannot imagine which ones do.

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
FYI all the flagship stores in London aren't letting you try SS Space Black either which I found strange (they have them under glass to look at).

I've read many times on here that people haven't been able to try this version wherever they are.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
You should do more research, lots of Apple Stores have them, there are many pictures people took at tryons with Space Black SS watches on their wrist. Just because none of your official appointments let you try one, doesn't mean no store in the country does.

There were many of us who went to our local Apple Store only to find they didn't have any to try on. It seems that many stores did not have any for tryon but some did.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Strange! I didn't know I couldn't try the black SS?

(Someone should tell the Apple Store in Manhattan Beach, CA there are no black SS to try on)

That picture just makes me glad I went for the SS Space Black. My local store didn't have any to try on, hell they only had the 38mm SS link, not even the 42mm!

My next store after that is about a 3 hour drive away!

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
The 38mm looked great on me. Sadly, I generally don't like link bands. Too heavy, too bulky, which makes me feel unbalanced, feeling like I'm carrying a 5-pound weight on one arm and nothing on the other to counter-balance it. Maybe Apple's will change that. It's lighter than other link band watches I've tried. Maybe another time when I go back and try it again.

2uesozs.jpg

Last edited:

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I tried it on to last Friday.. Maybe they realized something was off with the color of the try on models and now they removed it?

Or they have so few of them on sale that they're now shipping those 20 black ss from the stores too :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 172

albertsw

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
The 14th St. store in New York City has only one 42 mm space black stainless steel watch for trying on. I was there yesterday trying it on and it took them several minutes of looking through all the drawers to find it.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
My store had it and it's far from a flagship store. They only have 1 in the back and I think it comes from the edition try on case. They don't have them in the try on tables and many of the employees don't even know about it. First guy said they didn't have them, second time I came by the lady said the same and when I asked her what stores do have 1 since I didn't mind driving to take a look she asked her manager and he said they do have it and had to do a call to have someone bring it up from the back. They brought it out in a watch case that looked similar to the drawer layout with about 5 watches missing. So what I'm guessing is they brought out the case from the edition try on but took out all of the edition watches. So maybe ask if they can make sure with the manager or see if it's in the edition case. I can't imagine they would actually have it in my little store and not in major flagships although what could be happening is there was just nobody in an edition try out when I went but in the flagships if someone is in one of those they aren't going to interrupt it to grab a watch.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
The 38mm looked great on me. Sadly, I generally don't like link bands. Too heavy, too bulky, which makes me feel unbalanced, feeling like I'm carrying a 5-pound weight on one arm and nothing on the other to counter-balance it. Maybe Apple's will change that. It's lighter than other link band watches I've tried. Maybe another time when I go back and try it again.

It's funny that you have that reaction when you see other posters complaining that it's not heavy enough or that it seems cheap. For me it's just right.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
It's funny that you have that reaction when you see other posters complaining that it's not heavy enough or that it seems cheap. For me it's just right.

I guess it depends on personal comfort. Some people want a watch that feels substantial. I used to have an Omega Seamaster, but that was one of the reason why I rarely wear it. It feels too heavy for me. Maybe for a night out, it's ok, but for everyday use, I feel like I'm being chained down with extra weight I don't need on me. The Apple Watch I can handle, even the SS link. It felt lighter than the usual link watches. I'm just not comfortable with link bands from past experience. I may get one in the future, but right now I'm happy with the sports bands.

I also don't like my iPhone. I like the phone itself, but it's just another weight I have to carry all the time. My keychain is minimal, only enough keys for my car and my home. I don't even have those membership tags. They are just extras that takes up room in my pocket.

The fewer things I carry, the more relaxed I feel.

Last edited:

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA

the apple store at fair oaks mall in virginia did not have the 42mm ss with black sports band to try on

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015

What a beautiful shot. You may have swung me to the 38 with this that looks great. I'm thinking of the black SS and have a lot of pressure to go with the 42 because I like the leather loop but I may honestly just go with black 38 SS link and sport band and hope for 3rd party leather. I have similar wrists and this looks great. Looking at the cutouts I really think this may be the way to go. Going back tomorrow for my third time and I'm really going to focus on the 38 because of this.

Last edited:

robaroo

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Seattle, WA
I tried it on to last Friday.. Maybe they realized something was off with the color of the try on models and now they removed it?

Or they have so few of them on sale that they're now shipping those 20 black ss from the stores too :D

they link bands probably got scratched easily during try ons and apple pulled them before people coming in to try them on started another scuff gate.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
What a beautiful shot. You may have swung me to the 38 with this that looks great. I'm thinking of the black SS and have a lot of pressure to go with the 42 because I like the leather loop but I may honestly just go with black 38 SS link and sport band and hope for 3rd party leather. I have similar wrists and this looks great. Looking at the cutouts I really think this may be the way to go. Going back tomorrow for my third time and I'm really going to focus on the 38 because of this.

Thanks. My wrist is 175mm, width at 60mm, and I found the 38mm to be perfect. It's very close to the golden ratio too (37.08mm). The 42mm band looks too wide on me.

More of my try-on: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1865864/

Edit: I just went back to the Apple Store today to try it on again. I tried all the bands that were available for the 38mm. I think I may order the silver SS link band. It felt lightweight and would be comfortable on my wrist. Now the price tag, that's not comfortable.

Last edited:

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
Thanks. My wrist is 175mm, width at 60mm, and I found the 38mm to be perfect. It's very close to the golden ratio too (37.08mm). The 42mm band looks too wide on me.

More of my try-on: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1865864/

Edit: I just went back to the Apple Store today to try it on again. I tried all the bands that were available for the 38mm. I think I may order the silver SS link band. It felt lightweight and would be comfortable on my wrist. Now the price tag, that's not comfortable.

You're welcome thanks for posting it you got a lot of great shots in that thread. The price for the link is high but I'm figuring we should be able to keep them for a few generations and I just really like the look and feel of it. Worst case it should have good resale but I don't see them changing band connection quickly. I have my try on tomorrow, I work from home Monday's so I'm going to try and take some time during the day hoping it will be pretty empty. They really haven't let people take out links but I'm hoping they would be more willing if it isn't as hectic. We'll see how it goes, hoping I can finally make a decision and with the cutouts I do seem to be settling on the 38. I'll try and get some pics of the black link as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.