no startup chime

Discussion in 'macOS' started by robeec, Dec 20, 2007.

1. robeec macrumors newbie

a few months ago i won an aluminum 1.2 ghzPowerBook off ebay. i had just fried my beloved i-book w/a cup of coffee; so i was a happy camper. the only problem, i'm unsure if having no chime is indeed a problem, is the mac doesn't chime at startup. i installed leopard and reset the pram, but still no chime.

any ideas? i look forward to being a part of the forum. if this post is in the wrong forum, please move or tell me where to move the post.
    thanks,
    rob

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. robeec thread starter macrumors newbie

i wanted to write: "it worked like a chime" but it didn't. i dl-ed the software and installed it okay. in the preferences, i turned the software to the highest volume, but after restarting w/no chime, i saw the sound had turned itself down--even though i locked it. i tried twice because i thought my mind was playing tricks on me.

thanks for trying to help me though. i'll keep searching.
    robby

4. rhyndu macrumors regular

Does your new PB have AppleCare? If so, I guess you could take it to Apple.

If not, think about it but I dunno if $700 (Apple's standard repair fee for out-of-warante-machinces) is really worth it for um... your machine um... not making... a sound many dislike at bootup!:p

On the other hand, why do you even care?:)

5. robeec thread starter macrumors newbie

700.? do they wear masks? the apple store genius who took apart my ibook never charged me--he didn't repair it but i still expected to pay for the visit --could be cripple-pity because i'm a quadriplegic.

anyway, the powerbook i won off ebay is used. i'm guessing the pc's a few years old; it's an aluminum pb 5.2 g4 1.25 ghz.

thanks
    ps you're right--why should i care as long as the pb works.

6. bobmc1239 macrumors newbie

Moved from Seattle to Oklahoma City, rad.
    700 bucks? Have you even been to an Apple Store?

So long as the computer has no obvious signs of abuse the most you would look to spend is $300.
    In store they charge by the part plus labor. Your problem could be as easy and cheap as the speakers which they could do in house for around $100.
    If the problem is more serious (like a logic board) they can send it off for repair for a flat rate of around $300 regardless of what part(s) they replace.