no subsidy in CANADA!? but still 199

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gram, Jun 19, 2008.

1. gram macrumors newbie

over the past couple of weeks i have spoken to apple retailers in my area as well as 2 apple sales reps, and 1 iphone specific rep. my questions went like this:

will the iphone be priced at ~299$ CAD or USD for the 16 gb here in Canada? yes, your dollar is about teh same

will there be a need to sign up for a plan to get this price? no, some european countries aswell as canada will not need to sign to a plan to get the 299 price for 16 gb.

will it be available at apple retail stores? yes

anyone else get similar answers??

well i sold my touch so i hope thats the way it goes. and all of them saying teh same thing seems like a good sign.

i think because of all the contract crap with AT&T apple still can make more money off of them. to end (contract) in 2009 if im not mistaken.

2. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

You really expected these poeple to provide a correct answer?

To get a 3G iPhone you will have to qualify for an upgrade or be a new customer, sign a 3 year contract and must activate it with a data plan. The $199 and $299 price is only if you qualify.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I knew I should dodged the draft and made my way to Canada, eh!:p

4. gram thread starter macrumors newbie

i would not suspect them to lie. i would expect them to say i dont know or i can not say. what advantage to them is it? and to specifically say some euro countries and canada will not have to sign up. perhaps the ones that did not have carriers pre 3g. because of some contract detail perhaps..

perhaps. haha ;)

oh and the iphone rep said at&t will give subsidy for only 2 year contract. i suppose depending on how you qualify

5. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

You would think that they would just say I don't know... but call up Rogers customer service and ask them a question, then call again and ask the same question... repeat this a few times and see how many different answers you get.
    As for the contract, Rogers has already said in their press release that the 199/299 price points are based on a 3-year contract.

6. gram thread starter macrumors newbie

i did call rogers they said they are not at liberty to say.... all of them. that was pre news release. and talked to apple reps post news release...

and that would be the response i would expect instead of a straight lie. this is canada not the states after all

7. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I'm actually surprised that they said they didn't know because if you read through some of the other threads on here people have been told so many different things from Rogers reps that are just incorrect.. instead of saying that they don't know they instead just speculate.