Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi Folks,

I have my ATV connected via HDMI to my Sony receiver (http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/se...tId=1005425&navigationPath=n45940n32100n46020)

The receiver is connected to my Panny 50".

The problem: no surround sound (nothing from rear speakers) when playing rented HD movies from Itunes. Unless I'm wrong (possible?), these movies should be 5.1 right?

My blue 'multi-channel decoding' light is all lit up, the wee diagram shows all 5 speakers (I don't have 7.1), but nothing comes out of the speakers.

Now here's the kicker - when the ATV comes on (before playing a movie), I get sound from all the speakers, but as soon as I play a movie (in this case "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" - nada from the rears.

This has happened for a few other HD movies - in fact, not one plays sound from the rears.

Any thoughts? I've looked through the receiver manual and everything seems bang on.

Cheers,
keebler

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Not sure...

But sometimes the receiver "detects" Dolby Digital sound, and light up all 5.1 speakers, but it can be that only F-L and F-R are used (happens with HDTV a lot too).

But, I you reboot the TV, and when you see the cool animation, do you hear the full surround then (it is short, but noticeable..)?

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Not sure...

But sometimes the receiver "detects" Dolby Digital sound, and light up all 5.1 speakers, but it can be that only F-L and F-R are used (happens with HDTV a lot too).

But, I you reboot the TV, and when you see the cool animation, do you hear the full surround then (it is short, but noticeable..)?

thanks! I did reboot, but I think the simplest thing I did was ensure my subwoofer was on. Believe it or not, I think that was causing the lack of 5.1. not sure why, but i just rented inkheart for the kids and it sounded fine.

Thanks!
Keebler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.