No sustained data transfer to external drives since iMac EFI Update

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kuska, May 6, 2008.

1. Kuska macrumors regular

Kuska

Hi - Wondering if anyone can help.

This evening, I've noticed that my iMac locks up whenever copying data to external hard drives and has stopped recognising external optical drives. The only things that I've done prior to this happening is to install the latest EFI (Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03) and Toast 9.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this - I'm using Lacie Quadra's and have tried connecting via Firewire 400/800 and USB 2. I get 'some' data transfer which just locks up at a random point ? :confused:

Thankyou.

2. Kuska thread starter macrumors regular

Kuska

Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea as to why this is happening ? I really don't want to reinstall my OS and apps again as part of the troubleshoot.

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Have you tried resetting PRAM? (hold command-option-P-R at boot)

I've not experienced any of your issues with the EFI update and have the same boot ROM. I've also recently upgraded to Toast 9.

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Another tip. If you suspect a software/OS X problem create a new user account and see if the issue persists there before resorting to a reinstall.

It sounds more like a hardware issue to me. See if resetting the PRAM doesn't help. Apple Support also had me try resetting the SMC on my iMac recently while troubleshooting a video card issue.

1. From the Apple menu, choose Shut Down (or if the computer is not responding, hold the power button until it turns off).
    2. Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord and any display cables.
    3. Wait at least 15 seconds.
    4. Plug the power cord back in, making sure the power button is not being pressed at the time. Then reconnect your keyboard and mouse to the computer.
    5. Press the power button on the back to start up your computer.
    I'm not sure if this would help in your situation but it couldn't hurt either. ;)

5. Kuska thread starter macrumors regular

Kuska

Thankyou !

I did actually try resetting the PRAM last night but it made no noticable difference ( apple support would be proud of me ;) ) I'll try the SMC proceedure that you have outlined below and see what happens following that.

I'm also concious that I have my drives daisy chained and hubbed - I tried connecting the drives directly but again this made no difference to the issue.

I'll come back with the result of the SMC reset later.

Thanks again

6. Kuska thread starter macrumors regular

Kuska

Turns out it was a problem with my Belkin Firewire 800 Hub - It just will not work since the iMac EFI Firmware update - no idea why and of course it could be a coincidence................