No Tablet on the 27th?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMJustAGuy, Jan 22, 2010.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I think a lot of people have forgotten that these are all just rumors nothing has been confirmed. However, I think Apple's statement reguarding Valleywag kind of sets it in stone though. Even I believe that there will be a tablet introduced but--- How bad would it be if NO sort of tablet was introduced!? I mean honestly, think about it. What would your thoughts be?

2. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

Holy crap sitting on MacRumors all this time "the past Year" and no tablet!

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I wouldn't care, but I think that it is pretty clear that it is going to happen.

4. mntentman macrumors regular

Apple would have killed the rumors long ago if it wasn't going to happen... and you have to assume a proportion of the rumors are coming from there anyway. The are masters at this. They will let some things go, that's part of the deal, but not something this big.

5. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

I think everyone can't wait till next week us and stock holders.

6. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

7. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    I would have agreed with you until about a week ago. It's pretty obvious at this point with the invitations to the event saying "see our latest creation" and the fact that we do have some very strong evidence, it isn't purely speculation. I am 99.9% sure Apple will be introducing a tablet device on the 27th. Two weeks ago I was 90% sure, and in September I was 50-65% sure, and before that, I was back and forth from not believing it all to thinking it was a slight possibility, but was very skeptical.

8. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

People always question this on whether things will be released. Same for all the iPhones. . . Will they release an iPhone before WWDC? . . .

9. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

So let's assume just for the hell of it that there is no tablet. What do you think then, would stand in it's place as their "new creation"?

10. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Looking over the press long term, the other strong possibility I see is an Apple netbook.

The tablet could be something, if not seen this month, as a product later this year in the summer, or as a product to launch in January 2011.

If Apple eventually gets both the tablet and a netbook in 2010 and at the latest in 2011, nobody cares which order they came in a few years from now. Many here could potentially become fans of both.

Great items I saw Apple put out, but with less than stellar reaction, have been the Cube and the Macbook Air. I liked them, but many didn't. Now something like the iPod is a product which I found to be universally loved, not only by Mac users, but by the general public on the whole.

Most iPod users I know use PCs so Apple successfully breached a group of people who thought Apple was too snooty or too expensive. The iPod has become a must for everybody. I hope the tablet, and/or netbook, will be just as popular as the cultural icon the iPod has become.

11. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I don't know. I don't work for/ nor do I know anyone that works for Apple.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Mainstream media are convinced that Apple is going to release some tablet/slate device next week. As someone said, if it weren't happening, there would be major "no siree bob" rumor-killing by Apple people. "No comment" is Apple's way of telling you "Yep! *wink, wink*"

13. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

Apple would be hurting themselves by letting a rumor get this far without stopping it. Imagine an Apple Media event full of nothing but disappointed press.

14. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

This.

Plus look at what the invites said. "Come see our newest creation."

Creation implies something new, not refreshed or revised, which means its not talking about iLife/iWork 2010 or iPhone OS 4.0. And since the only rumor floating around here has been the iTab/iSlate/iPad, then thats what its going to be.

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Apple is announcing the tablet. There is no way Apple would allow such rumouring, article writing, discussion and fanboiying about this device.
    Apple is known to dampen down things that won't be happening to keep people in check, and vice versa - add rumours to inject into the tech media system some details they want leaked.

It wouldn't be bad at all to answer the question. Because it'd have to be damned good to let Apple let tablet rumours run unchecked.

16. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Have to agree. It is something new, not an update to the iPhone (alone). Apple has said before the netbook market was not for them; so a netbook is not likely. Most reasons cited were price point and cramped keyboard.

And Apple has the Air, which is something like a netbook at a notebook price. :D

I believe it is going to be a table, maybe 10" form factor, running iPhone OS 4 with content streaming and the ability to run iPhone software (think of the installed software base for this thing).

But these are all guesses.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If there's no tablet on the 27th, does this whole sub-forum get Wastelanded? :D

18. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

I actually think that "Come see our latest creation" means iLife. I see Apple wanting iLife to be an Adobe CS for consumers. I think the invites saying "come see our latest creation" have almost a dual meaning: iLife at the surface, and some sort of deeper meaning for the tablet that we will realize after it has been demoed.

19. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Doesn't creation imply hardware more than software? iLife itself likely to get an update sooner or later (it not int the ATV/ACD/Mac mini naughty step status).

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Man, it would be hilarious if Jobs came out and did a normal product intro. Updated MacBook's, iLife 10 and no one more thing. I think the Internet would explode. :D

21. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Sure, and that can refer to the hardware tablet, but I think it also plays into iLife becoming more of a "creative suite" or sorts.

22. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

It would be funny if Jobs comes out and unveils a mid level tower or a Apple branded TV with full streaming of your iTunes library or even an Apple iCar with no pollution and autonomous driving or anything amazing that isn't the tablet.

And then says "Really a Tablet thats all you guys thought I had? That is an insult to my genius!"

23. yegon macrumors 68020

A sick, sick part of me wants this to happen. I'd laugh my arse off for 5 minutes...then weep into my pillow :(. I'm not really inclined to buy the supposed tablet, but I'd love to see something new and significant.

THAT is a good question. What could it possibly be?

As others have said, I'm 99.9% certain it IS a tablet, but if it isn't....

Personally, I'd like to see an 11.6inch MBA but I know that ain't gonna happen, booo!

24. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Yeah, latest is what I meant. But still, latest/newest creation still implies something new, not revised, revamped, etc. Which means a new product is being brought in.

I'd assume by what the rumors say, that the tablet is supposed to be running iPhone OS 4, so being that that is a revision, so to say, its not new, and since the Tablet is new hardware, that that is what is coming out on the 27th. Lets just hope though. I know the internet would explode for a few hours if Jobs came out and did the whole expo and no tablet ever came up.

25. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

That could really fit into the traditional "netbook" category, being light and with a very small footprint.

I loved the 11" inch lenovo netbook and I could actually fit one of those in my suit jacket or raincoat. Portable to the point of putting into a large pocket or purse is what is key about a real netbook, not just weight.

Yes, a small footprint MBA or iNetbook or minMacbookPro would be a great product, but with maybe a limited audience at any price point.